Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alan_703  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2022 13:31:13(UTC)
Alan_703

Aside from the lack of opportunities in my local area (Inverness-shire, would love to connect if you’re local to me), every safety advisor role I come across requires years of experience in safety and the specific industry you would be practicing in. There does not appear to be many opportunities for someone with an NGC (hopefully me next week) to obtain the safety experience to gain Tech IOSH. Does anyone have any advice on ways to obtain Tech IOSH in the absence of a safety specific role? Self employed is not really an option as a regular income is required and I lack experience which contributes to competence. I am attempting to obtain a safety role with my current employer, but if one is not available my desired career path will be in limbo.

Edited by user 10 February 2022 13:38:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kate  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2022 15:49:20(UTC)
Kate

I suggest temporarily lowering your sights from a safety advisor role (which as you say generally does require experience) and going for H&S administrator / coordinator roles, which generally don't require experience but can be a way in to get that experience.

Alan_703  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2022 15:52:32(UTC)
Alan_703

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post
I suggest temporarily lowering your sights from a safety advisor role (which as you say generally does require experience) and going for H&S administrator / coordinator roles, which generally don't require experience but can be a way in to get that experience.
I would consider that also - I have only seen 1 position locally offering that though (and applied).
Kate  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2022 16:10:45(UTC)
Kate

I don't know how long you've been looking for - but I can say that in my own job searches over the years the administrator / coordinator positions do seem to come up quite a bit.  Obviously it will depend on the amount and type of employment generally in your local area.

Good luck.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2022 17:26:26(UTC)
chris42

Even if you don’t get the internal role outright, perhaps you could negotiate assisting whoever will advise on H&S.

Alan_703  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2022 17:37:39(UTC)
Alan_703

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post
Even if you don’t get the internal role outright, perhaps you could negotiate assisting whoever will advise on H&S.
That’s the angle I’m attempting to take with work. It’s a big company with a small safety department and lots to do, but it’s up to them if they wish to expand it or not.