Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Flynn  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2022 11:16:06(UTC)
Mark Flynn

Is anyone else having difficulties attracting competent H&S professionals with relevant experience and qualifications? I work at Brighton & Hove City Council and we have been struggling over recent months to get suitable candidates to apply for our vaccancies in our internal H&S team, and I wonder if that is a reflection of the general work environment currently.

Mark

Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2022 12:58:12(UTC)
Mark-W

Nice way of advertising a job but not advertising a job. I like your style sir.

But to get back to the crux of your question. It depends on the JD. And the renumeration for the position. Also have you specified lots of requiremnts for the job? Is the room for progression? How big a team will they be joining? 

If the requirements are to specific then you've reduced your talent pool, if the pay isn't commensurate for the position again, reducing your talent pool. If it's a small team, I'd say that progression would be dead mans shoes so not exactly appealing to the younger members of our profession, who would want to progress.

Saying that, I find it strange that people change jobs so quickly, when I was looking for work a few years ago, the recruitment agencys were all saying that I should be looking to change positions/jobs every 3-5 years. Is that still the case.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2022 14:21:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Mark-W - possibly the advice from the recruitment consultants was a reflection that many employers do not give their staff sufficient opportunities to progress within their organisations. 

For some employers that is fairly deliberate. Let others take the "hit" on development and head hunt at whatever level is needed at any point in time.

Mark Flynn - my perception is that the market is quite buoyant for candidates at present, though some of the packages on offer remain derisory (particularly in the South of England).

However, in addition, if your person specification is overprescriptive you might be deterring suitable candidates. Far too many person specs in job ads mark just about EVERYTHING as "essential"!!

Found one which requires someone in a "safety"ish job to expect the candidate to have prior experience in things like environmental health and taxi licensing. If they have this, then they would be likely to be looking for the next step up, not another job at the same level UNLESS as they have moved home.

P

Mark Flynn  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2022 14:28:34(UTC)
Mark Flynn

Thank you Mark and Peter,

Your points are interesting and well worth us reviewing when we look again.  However, we do seem to have gone from lots of applicants and the need for filtering, to a handful of applications, which appear to be very speculative.

Regards,

Mark

Alan Haynes  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2022 16:31:18(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Mark, if you google Brighton and Hove Council reviews, you may get a lead on why some people would be doubtful about getting a job working for the Council.
thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 15/02/2022(UTC)
KMatt  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2022 16:47:36(UTC)
KMatt

I actually left a H&S consultant job for a council in the South West just before x-mas.  I lasted a year.  I took a 10k pay cut to go there because the flexible working & benefits seemed to outweigh the drop in pay.  If I only I knew how dull the job would be. They used COVID as an excuse to do nothing, I mean nothing, they wouldn't even let me review policies, but in every teams meeting they all said they were busy.  My Manager was dreadful, I did however take it upon myself to study & get my level 6 completed whilst I was there & pushed to get on what few audits I could just to help with my NVQ.  Council culture was alive & well.  I've since left for a 15k payrise to be H&S Manager elsewhere, yes i have to communte & it's more stressful but it's better than being sat home wiggling my mouse on teams.     

thanks 1 user thanked KMatt for this useful post.
Kevogstar on 31/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2022 11:44:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many councils want the earth (moon AND stars) for peanuts

Doesn't inspire confidence when a potential employer chooses to pursue a dispute which generates a massive public health issue - composting in the streets is not green

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2022 11:44:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many councils want the earth (moon AND stars) for peanuts

Doesn't inspire confidence when a potential employer chooses to pursue a dispute which generates a massive public health issue - composting in the streets is not green

Mark Flynn  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2022 09:06:12(UTC)
Mark Flynn

The replies about the negative side of working for a council probably show that working in the public sector is not for everyone, particulalry if one has political views or bad previous experiences.  However, unitary authorities offer a range of H&S experiences like schools, social care, housing, parks maintenance, refuse collection, construction, and contractor management.  

I acknowledge that some are drawn to specific sectors like manufacturing, chemical plants, and major construction projects, which is great.  However, we have never had such a recruitment issue before, as others like the variety of work, flexible working, reduced travelling, pensions, job security etc.  So there must be something going on in the market or our adverts are just not attractive enough.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

Mark

CptBeaky  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2022 09:15:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

I have been approached numerous times in recent months regarding vacant positions. Anecdotally, it appears that a lot of the more experienced H&S personnel have retired during COVID, or moved into self-employment. I was sought after as I was relatively young (less than 45) and have plenty of experience.

Many of the roles would have been completely out of my areas of experience, and I was not at all suitable, however they were seemingly desperate. Obviously I turned the roles down, as my inexperience could cause a lot of harm.

I would sugget the sector needs a training push at entry level to ensure we have replacements as the top end continue to move away from the sector. Until this happens there will continue to be a struggle to fill vacant positions. Although, that being said, it has pushed our "market value" up considerably. Positions are running at around £10k more than they were at the beginning of the pandemic, in my experience.

Not that any of this helps you, just some observations.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 17/02/2022(UTC)
ejurenglen@yahoo.com  
#11 Posted : 21 February 2022 16:28:02(UTC)
ejurenglen@yahoo.com

Good day to all HSE Professionals here, it is good to connect with Professionals. I am new in this forum actually and just got my GradIOSH status last month. I am in UAE where I have worked for the past 5 years as an HSE Officer in the Construction and Oil and Gas sectors. I am at present without a job and will like to use this medium to seek assistance in respect to securing one. I am open to relocation and can cover the visa fees if any available opportunity shows up. I can be reached at ejurenglen@yahoo.com, +971556484865. Thanks for your time.

MrBrightside  
#12 Posted : 22 February 2022 13:32:03(UTC)
MrBrightside

From what I have seen, the relationship between qualifications and salarys is shocking. Companies want the world, but don't want to pay for it.

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
sjh1973 on 02/03/2022(UTC)