Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kapil  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2022 16:34:16(UTC)
Kapil

Hi all,

I am going to submit my Unit DNI on Wednesday (23/02/22) and I am just tidying up my references. Can someone give me an example on how to havard reference HSG65 both in text and in the reference list please?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kapil.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2022 18:51:01(UTC)
Kate

There is more than one version of Harvard referencing as it has mutated in its life beyond Harvard - have you been given any instructions and examples of referencing for your assignment?

Kapil  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2022 10:07:48(UTC)
Kapil

Hi Kate, 

Unfortuneatly I haven't been given any examples or instructions :( 

RVThompson  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2022 12:34:53(UTC)
RVThompson

Hi Kapil,

There are plenty of guides online that show how to reference different sources (internet, periodicals, other media, etc.).
The important point is to keep consistent and use just the one reference system.
When I did my NEBOSH Dip, the Harvard style wasn’t the only option.

​​​​​​​

thanks 2 users thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
peter gotch on 18/02/2022(UTC), Kapil on 02/03/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2022 15:53:03(UTC)
Kate

OK the way I would reference this in the version of Harvard referencing that I learned as an undergraduate is:

In-text reference:

(HSE, 2013, p. x)

- where x is the page number I am referring to

Reference list:

HSE (2013) 'Managing for health and safety' [online]. Available at https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg65.pdf (Accessed 19 February 2022)

- or whatever is the date that I took notes from it

However this is just one of a number of Harvard styles and isn't definitively correct (or considering the prevalence of errors that tutors pick up in referencing by students may not even be correct at all).

As an example of how this would appear in an assignment:

In the text of the assignment I might write:

"Risk profiling is considered by the HSE to be part of the Do stage of the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle (HSE, 2013, p. 9)."

Then at the end I would put:

"References

HSE (2013) 'Managing for health and safety' [online]. Available at https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg65.pdf (Accessed 19 February 2022)"

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Kapil on 02/03/2022(UTC), luann on 03/03/2022(UTC)
Kapil  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2022 16:46:00(UTC)
Kapil

Thanks Kate - much appreciated!

jonathandaniels  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2022 09:22:51(UTC)
jonathandaniels

I used Vancouver referencing in my submission, which I personally found easier to read. If you're not familiar with it, it's essentially a superscript number at the reference point.