Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jack Unsworth  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2022 16:52:31(UTC)
Jack Unsworth

Good afternoon,

This is my first time posting on the forum so apologies in advance if some of this isn't appropriate! If anyone is willing to help, my email is @jack_unsworth@outlook.com

I work in local government, previously as a Health and Safety Apprentice, but since completing my Level 3 Health and Safety Apprenticeship with Penshaw View Training, I have been promoted to an assistant role. My employer has agreed to support me financially through further education, and after initial conversations I think my preferred route is through a distanced university course, related to management - Health and Safety Management basically.

After doing some research I think a distanced learning university degree is more suitable than NCRQ/NEBOSH diploma. I want to eventually progress through the council into more of a senior management position so a more generic safety management degree instead of a specific safety diploma interests me more - hope this makes sense!

I was just wondering if anybody can provide advice on a university and a course - and just any general guidance really! Would be grateful of anything - email: jack_unsworth@outlook.com

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2022 08:55:32(UTC)
HSSnail

Have a look at Portsmouth University - they offer a whole range of H&S based qualifications, many by distance learning. I did my PgC with them over 20 years ago and the management section was very different to NEBOSH (at that time). Sadly it can be a bit difficult explaining that to prospective employesr outside the H&S sector.

Good luck.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Jack Unsworth on 04/02/2022(UTC)
Jack Unsworth  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2022 16:37:35(UTC)
Jack Unsworth

Thanks Brian, I will be sure to check it out.

luann  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2022 15:03:39(UTC)
luann

Hi Jack 

I'm also studying with penshaw and i take my exams in a couple of weeks. My employer is then putting me through my NEBOSH afterwards. 

Could be worth talking to your manager about?