Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 09 February 2023 14:38:03(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

Hello all.

My background:

Qualifications - NEBOSH Level 6, NEBOSH Construction certificate, SMSTS, AET Level 3 etc

Work history - HSEQ Manager for a civil engineering company and I have a training centre where I teach CITB courses (and more). 17 years on site experience in FRC (formwork reinforced concrete), and health and safety on site.

I want to expand my training centre by becoming an NVQ Assessor. I've done some research and found the Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (CAVA) course.

Once I complete the CAVA course, what then? Where does an assessor get their assessment criteria? Is there a NVQ Assessor register or similar?

I am thorough and consciencious, and because of this I like to ensure I have all of the information I need before taking that step. I think NVQ assessing would be my next step to expand my training centre. The information online is not telling me what I need to do, or whether I look at other routes of expansion.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you

#2 Posted : 10 February 2023 09:16:23(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user

I belive you have to work for an approved centre or you can set up a centre of your own.

This link tells you how to do it for City and Guilds 

Offer our qualifications | City & Guilds (cityandguilds.com)

There are other acredited NVQs - you would need to look up each one to see the requirements.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/02/2023(UTC), chantelle on 16/03/2023(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2023 19:34:30(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
Ian Bell2

Look at recruitment websites for short term contact rates. The add a percentage on top for business costs and additional profit.

For each £5/hr is about equivalent to a £10k annual salary increments.

Alternatively make use of an onine tax calculator - put in the salary you would like to earn to get an approximate Gross annual salary rate - most sites report figures interms of hourly/daily/weekly/monthly rates.

Then once again add in an allowance for business costs, pension contributions etc, profit.

Presumably you intend working for more than a basic salary plus cost. 

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2023 19:38:44(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
Ian Bell2

Oops, sorry wrong thread.

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.