Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Yossarian  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2023 13:25:53(UTC)
Yossarian

Hi all,

I've just come out of a meeting with our in-house OH provider, who has advised us we need to take action to review our systems with respect to noise induced hearing loss as the UK RIDDOR reporting criteria will be changing shortly.

My question to the forum is - does anyone have an inside track on this - is it occupational health led, as I've not seen anything on the HSE website on the subject?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2023 13:38:50(UTC)
Kate

H&S regulations traditionally only change in October or April of each year, so it would be surprising if any change to RIDDOR was about to happen.

Edited by user 14 November 2023 13:39:33(UTC)  | Reason: It would be even more surprising if I typed correctly first time

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Yossarian on 14/11/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 15/11/2023(UTC)
Yossarian  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2023 15:52:54(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

H&S regulations traditionally only change in October or April of each year, so it would be surprising if any change to RIDDOR was about to happen.

I wasn't sure if this was still the case as there have been so many changes in Govenment since it was originally instigated.

From what I understand, this appears to be more about clinical reporting criteria rather than regulatory change, which might also explain the lack of HSE information.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2023 16:02:12(UTC)
Kate

But noise-induced hearing loss is not a reportable disease under RIDDOR in the first place, so no amount of changes to clinical criteria could affect the reporting of it without a change to RIDDOR itself.

thanks 3 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Yossarian on 14/11/2023(UTC), A Kurdziel on 14/11/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 16/11/2023(UTC)
Yossarian  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2023 16:14:37(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

But noise-induced hearing loss is not a reportable disease under RIDDOR in the first place, so no amount of changes to clinical criteria could affect the reporting of it without a change to RIDDOR itself.

Good point, well made.

On the flip side I've found a SOM document which is a position statement on NIHL referrals to OH Physicians:

https://www.som.org.uk/s...ance_Guidance_May_23.pdf  

I wonder if we are talking at crossed purposes?

Edited by user 14 November 2023 16:15:22(UTC)  | Reason: spacing

thanks 1 user thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
peter gotch on 15/11/2023(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2023 16:14:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Yossarian

Going back to the original question, I can't see much prospect of the current deregulatory minded Government proposing to widen the scope of RIDDOR reportable (or recordable) events.

....and if they were so minded, we could expect an HSE Consultative Document well in advance of any changes, not least to enable comment (DM etc outrage!!) on the burden on business and such like.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Yossarian on 16/11/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 16/11/2023(UTC)
TripleS65#  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2023 18:08:47(UTC)
TripleS65#

I do understand that NIHL will be a focus for the HSE in 2024 and there may be some increased requirement for referals but do not see any link with RIDDOR.

thanks 1 user thanked TripleS65# for this useful post.
Yossarian on 16/11/2023(UTC)
Yossarian  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2023 11:11:54(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: TripleS65# Go to Quoted Post

I do understand that NIHL will be a focus for the HSE in 2024 and there may be some increased requirement for referals but do not see any link with RIDDOR.

That's useful, I think the confusion was beteween the terms "referrals" and "RIDDOR reporting" with us asking what the former meant and them not understanding the difference.
RVThompson  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2023 11:48:07(UTC)
RVThompson

A question was asked in the Commons on this very subject two years ago: https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-06-22/20383

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Yossarian on 17/11/2023(UTC)
RVThompson  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2023 11:53:11(UTC)
RVThompson

2023 review here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukia/2023/127/pdfs/ukia_20230127_en.pdf

I skimmed through it, but must have missed the bit about NIHL?

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Yossarian on 17/11/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2023 13:14:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The questioner  asked if occupational hearing loss would become reportable under RIDDOR. The answer was essentially the government  would “consider” this as part of  a review of RIDDOR in September 2023.  The technical term for  this is  “kicking the can down the road”.  The question  was  asked  2 years and 2 prime ministers ago. We still had a Queen and a bag chips and scraps cost less than a fiver. Like Peter said  this is not going to happen,  at least  under the current government.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 16/11/2023(UTC), Yossarian on 17/11/2023(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2023 14:07:14(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Yossarian

Did you enquire of your OH provider as to the source of the info?

regards

Mike 

Yossarian  
#13 Posted : 17 November 2023 09:42:46(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: MikeKelly Go to Quoted Post

Hi Yossarian

Did you enquire of your OH provider as to the source of the info?

regards

Mike 

Mike, my understanding is currently:

Society of Occupational Medicine issued a position statement (which I linked previously) that a 'notch' in the audiogram" at the frequencies of 3000, 4000, or 6000 Hz with recovery at 8000 Hz" is to be used for NIHL referral criteria to an appropriately qualified doctor.

Our OH team has alerted us that anyone sending staff through for medicals etc, may see an increase in NIHL referrals and as such we should be aware.

Finally there was a confusion between the term 'referral' and ' RIDDOR reportable' during the conversation, which this forum has helped clear up.

Edited by user 17 November 2023 09:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: clarity

thanks 2 users thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 17/11/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 17/11/2023(UTC)
Yossarian  
#14 Posted : 17 November 2023 09:59:50(UTC)
Yossarian

Originally Posted by: RVThompson Go to Quoted Post

A question was asked in the Commons on this very subject two years ago: https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-06-22/20383

Thanks for this information and your subsequent post, even if it (as subsequently pointed out) is ancient history now!

We have used the whole review exercise as a helpful reminder to our managers that they can't just offer ear defenders and OH referrals, but need to control the issue at source.

thanks 1 user thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 17/11/2023(UTC)