Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TripleS65#  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2023 18:03:26(UTC)
TripleS65#

I am interested to hear how many businesses have abandoned the SSIP process due to the intensive data harvesting approaches from Constructionline, Chas Etc.

They are far removed from being a safety scheme in procurement now.

Edited by user 15 November 2023 18:04:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2023 13:58:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

Problem being the people contracting works want to tick the box on their project paperwork resulting in contractor SSIP enrolment being a cost of staying in business.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
TripleS65# on 17/11/2023(UTC), TripleS65# on 17/11/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2023 13:58:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

Problem being the people contracting works want to tick the box on their project paperwork resulting in contractor SSIP enrolment being a cost of staying in business.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
TripleS65# on 17/11/2023(UTC), TripleS65# on 17/11/2023(UTC)
TripleS65#  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2023 09:06:01(UTC)
TripleS65#

I agree with you Roundtuit - There are limited choices, either put up with it or miss out on some clients but some of the data looked for is now a very long way from safety or even related compliance.

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2023 13:27:56(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi TripleS

Noting that I recognise that this problem extends beyond what is generally viewed as "construction", HSE did try to reduce the amount of bureaucracy in supply chain management in projects subject to CDM with clear guidance in the Approved Code of Practice and guidance [L144] that supported CDM 2007.

Unfortunately when CDM 2015 came along the HSE seemed under pressure to ditch the concept of "competency" in favour of "skills, knowledge and experience" + where an organisation "organisational capability" and downgraded the status of the supporting publication, L153 to guidance only.

Which reopened up the floodgates for those intent on making money from SKE assessment schemes.

However, it is often said "what the Client wants, the Client gets" and if the Client sets hoops for its supply chain partners then if you want to work for them you have to jump the hoops in some way.

Now if LOTS of Clients go with e.g. SSIP and DON'T add lots more hoops on top, then it does reduce the bureaucracy somewhat.

Before I retired we had one Client who irritated me several times a year. Not only did we have to jump the hoop of a scheme, but the Client would add on a few prequal questions and change them for each procurement. It seemed that each Client side project manager would come up with their own question(s) - NEVER worth the character count in the question(s) and NEVER specific to the type of work we were looking to win.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
TripleS65# on 20/11/2023(UTC)