Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark 007  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2023 19:58:46(UTC)
Mark 007

What are other safety professionals view on HR interactions as I find myself continually at logger heads especially over reasonable adjustments for employees with medical issues ? 

Messey  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2023 23:14:57(UTC)
Messey

I must be very lucky as the HR dept I have dealt with for the last 14 years have been pretty good in the professional fire safety/PEEP/adjustments arena. In fact my only complaint was giving me too much to do which was definately in their remit

However on a more personal level -  promotion, appraisals, expesnes, leave etc - they have been like every HR dept I have come across.  A nightmare!!! Applying rules literally with no flexibility, common sense or proportionality. The opposite of how I work, which is why I find them so frustrating . 

Kate  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2023 08:09:47(UTC)
Kate

This happens because you are each coming at the issues from different angles.  The lack of mutual understanding can then result in a tense relationship that deteriorates each time.

The thing to do in this situation is to have a meeting with them (in a relaxed and fairly informal way, perhaps with coffee or lunch) to repair the relationship (express this though in a more tactful form than that).  Instead of going over a specific issue that you disagree about, take an opportunity to listen to them and understand where they are coming from, what the basis for their positions is, what constraints they have, what matters to them.  Then there is a chance to find some common ground.  If you spend more time listening to them than setting out your own position, you are more likely to make progress.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/12/2023(UTC), O'Donnell54548 on 14/12/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2023 13:37:57(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My opinion of HR people has gotten lower and lower over the years .

They tend to be very process driven, with the process being an end it itself, rather than a means to an end.  They prefer documentation to outcomes, with their major concern being protecting the organisation not the people, so an investigation that suggests that an incident is own to “human error”  rather than systemic management failure is the referred root cause especially if the blame can be laid at an individual.  Risk assessment is simply a paper exercise not an attempt come up with operational solutions.

… ..and they never get their hands dirty. By that I mean they are not really interested in what the organisation actually does and what the majority of employees get up every day.  

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
aud on 14/12/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 14/12/2023(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2023 13:57:08(UTC)
Kate

Well I find that like any profession they are variable.  Some of them appear to be agents of an ancient evil, some are caring and empathetic people who want the best for the business they work for, some are twisted and self-serving, some are just trying to be professional, and some are barely coping with a job they don't even like.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2023 14:23:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

The modern breed of Human Resources are a world away from what was Personnel.

Even the name gives an indication there are employer resources which are squishy, get sick, have needs and wants requiring vast acres of deforestation for the policies, forms and records so that an employer can demonstrate they comply with employment legislation when hauled to tribunal or before a regulator.

What I personally see as frightening is that whereas Personnel was a group of employed colleagues HR seems to be heading down the route of total out-sourcing (pensions, payroll, training, occupational health, travel etc.) adding to delays in decision making and resolving queries.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/12/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 14/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 13/12/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 14/12/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2023 14:23:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

The modern breed of Human Resources are a world away from what was Personnel.

Even the name gives an indication there are employer resources which are squishy, get sick, have needs and wants requiring vast acres of deforestation for the policies, forms and records so that an employer can demonstrate they comply with employment legislation when hauled to tribunal or before a regulator.

What I personally see as frightening is that whereas Personnel was a group of employed colleagues HR seems to be heading down the route of total out-sourcing (pensions, payroll, training, occupational health, travel etc.) adding to delays in decision making and resolving queries.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/12/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 14/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 13/12/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 14/12/2023(UTC)
thunderchild  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2023 14:57:59(UTC)
thunderchild

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

Well I find that like any profession they are variable.  Some of them appear to be agents of an ancient evil, some are caring and empathetic people who want the best for the business they work for, some are twisted and self-serving, some are just trying to be professional, and some are barely coping with a job they don't even like.

I find H&S people can be like that and if I'm honest I can be all depending on whom I'm having the pleasure or displeasure dealing with. Although I do start off as emplethetic but it can go down hill, I'm no angel and somedays, yes I do hate my job.

johnc  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2023 18:59:50(UTC)
johnc

I like Kate's reply re sitting down with them. If however you get into a situation where you really believe that you are right and that following HR advice would put the organisation at risk of prosecution then I suggest you remind them about s7 HASAWA whereby the HR person could be held to account. Didn't use it too often but when I did it ended up with my proposal being adopted. Remember HR do a great job in making IT look good.
thanks 1 user thanked johnc for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/12/2023(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2023 08:57:44(UTC)
Self and Hasty

I've been firmly put in my place this week whilst trying to have that informal chat with HR at my new role exploring the seam between Health and Safety and HR regarding wellness and mental health. Maybe it was my clumsy, blunt, assuming approach; but they were very defensive and I was told; that staff wellness is not in my remit and I shouldn't even discuss HR issues! 

It's not been my experience in every role, some companies have great HR people/departments/systems, but this compartmentalised/departmental management with no communication between areas seems negative/toxic. 

Stepping back from the issue for now, just another barrier to overcome, will look at trying to 'support' HR in their wellness improvements more subtly in future.

thanks 2 users thanked Self and Hasty for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 14/12/2023(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#11 Posted : 14 December 2023 18:39:32(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Self and Hasty Go to Quoted Post

I've been firmly put in my place this week whilst trying to have that informal chat with HR at my new role exploring the seam between Health and Safety and HR regarding wellness and mental health. Maybe it was my clumsy, blunt, assuming approach; but they were very defensive and I was told; that staff wellness is not in my remit and I shouldn't even discuss HR issues! 

It's not been my experience in every role, some companies have great HR people/departments/systems, but this compartmentalised/departmental management with no communication between areas seems negative/toxic. 

Stepping back from the issue for now, just another barrier to overcome, will look at trying to 'support' HR in their wellness improvements more subtly in future.

Based on your own comments it appears that you were trying to tell HR how to do their job, a position which will be met with all the enthusiasm you would have were the roles reversed. 

Jonny95  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2023 10:26:58(UTC)
Jonny95

O'Donnell, I'm curious, how exactly did Self and Hasty tell HR how to do their job? It seemed more like a collaborative approach on an important issue that crosses both HR and Health & Safety boundaries, rather than overstepping?

thanks 2 users thanked Jonny95 for this useful post.
Kate on 15/12/2023(UTC), Bass900063 on 19/12/2023(UTC)
Kate  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2023 10:36:36(UTC)
Kate

Yes that did seem a harsh response to a reflection on an unsuccessful attempt at collaboration.

I've always found that many people are not shy of expressing their firm opinions on how the H&S job should be done, and if I took offence at that I would no longer be in it as a career!

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2023 13:24:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My question is, “What is HR’s role anyway?”. From my experience these are the people who seem to spend a lot of time jollying people up in the name of wellbeing. If there is an office party to be organised or a fun packed awayday to be arrange it’s usually our friends in HR doing it. These are then same people who went you want a vacant H&S position filled spend 6 months vacillating before they even start the recruitment process.  Who do you think is the main source of work-related stress in my workplace?

O'Donnell54548  
#15 Posted : 17 December 2023 14:08:13(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Jonny95 Go to Quoted Post

O'Donnell, I'm curious, how exactly did Self and Hasty tell HR how to do their job? It seemed more like a collaborative approach on an important issue that crosses both HR and Health & Safety boundaries, rather than overstepping?

Allow me to clarify. Self & Hasty himself informed us that HR had informed him that wellness/mental health was not within his remit, therefore why is he having this conversation on this subject with them? 

Kate  
#16 Posted : 17 December 2023 17:56:09(UTC)
Kate

It's evident that Self & Hasty initiated this conversation with HR before being informed (during it) of the expectation of keeping out of it.  If you don't have the conversation, how can you know?

haulfryn  
#17 Posted : 18 December 2023 09:00:53(UTC)
haulfryn

In my last job my experience with HR was very good.  I never interfered in HR business and they never interfered in HS businesss.  The only time I interacted with them is when they asked me to.  I never went looking for extra work.  They would inform me if someone needed a specific risk assessment or required reasonable adjustments.  They used to ask me to get involved in any wellness programs.    

thanks 2 users thanked haulfryn for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/12/2023(UTC), O'Donnell54548 on 18/12/2023(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#18 Posted : 18 December 2023 09:49:26(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

It's evident that Self & Hasty initiated this conversation with HR before being informed (during it) of the expectation of keeping out of it.  If you don't have the conversation, how can you know?

So now you are saying that he did not know what his remit included/excluded when he took the job? I, personnally find that hard to believe, but OK so be it.  

andrewhopwood  
#19 Posted : 18 December 2023 13:29:48(UTC)
andrewhopwood

Interesting comments, I get  on rather well with  HR and do have quite a lot of interaction and good to have a sounding board  for when i wield the correctional behavior staff. 

All joking aside there needs to be more of the team work that we hear so much  of and collaboration, and less of the strict role protocols that is for the unions to playout, that didnt work for me and i suppose we flock, herd, etc with like minded spiritis to be happy 

May be i am odd and a dreamer but  my situation works 

thanks 1 user thanked andrewhopwood for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 18/12/2023(UTC)
Mark 007  
#20 Posted : 18 December 2023 20:06:46(UTC)
Mark 007

Certainly some food for thought another discussion tomorrow regarding employee wanting to work with fractured foot in medical boot note he his an engineer and has to work upstairs my initial thoughts are he should stay off work until able to walk and evacuate building effectively without endangering others 

again thank you for the replies 

andrewhopwood  
#21 Posted : 19 December 2023 12:58:20(UTC)
andrewhopwood

Originally Posted by: Mark 007 Go to Quoted Post

Certainly some food for thought another discussion tomorrow regarding employee wanting to work with fractured foot in medical boot note he his an engineer and has to work upstairs my initial thoughts are he should stay off work until able to walk and evacuate building effectively without endangering others 

again thank you for the replies 

The thought here is, does the individual have to work upstairs? 

Access is by stairs? No lift? 

Accomodate by  temporarily  working down stairs, having been in a simililar situation myself i needed the companionship  to  aid rehab.

An adequate risk assessment should provide the answer?  

Bass900063  
#22 Posted : 19 December 2023 13:26:23(UTC)
Bass900063

Originally Posted by: Self and Hasty Go to Quoted Post

Oh my goodness - this is word for word the exact problem I am having! I was told wellbeing is nothing to do with me and they even complained to my manager in an email about me stepping outside of my remit! I've tried Kate's approach of sitting down informally with them but it hasn't worked. I'm leaving it alone for now!

This is the first organisation I've worked in where I haven't had a good working relationship with HR so it's come as a bit of a surprise - maybe I was just lucky previously

A Kurdziel  
#23 Posted : 19 December 2023 14:30:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

How does your HR department define “wellbeing”. I bet it’s different from how you, as a H&S person define it!

Kate  
#24 Posted : 19 December 2023 15:06:16(UTC)
Kate

Well according to IOSH, one of the many competencies we are supposed to have is this: "An OSH professional is expected to deliver management systems that promotes and protects worker wellbeing. This includes persuading them to make good lifestyle choices to keep themselves fit and healthy and systems for the effective management of mental health."

HSSnail  
#25 Posted : 20 December 2023 07:57:41(UTC)
HSSnail

Well according to IOSH, one of the many competencies we are supposed to have is this: "An OSH professional is expected to deliver management systems that promotes and protects worker wellbeing. This includes persuading them to make good lifestyle choices to keep themselves fit and healthy and systems for the effective management of mental health."

We know IOSH say a lot of things about competencies - as i understand it im supposed to go check my suppliers to make sure they acting ethically, well Im sorry Kate but Santa refused my welfare check on the elves so no Christmas present for you this year!

firesafety101  
#26 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:28:30(UTC)
firesafety101

When I was retired from the fire service I got a job in a factory as Fire Prevention Officer based in the personell department.  A short time after I started the Personal Department became HR with some personel changes.  After one year I was given responsibility for Security with a decent pay rise as the Security Chief was taking voluntary redundancy.  How voluntary it was I have my doubts but he got a good package.

I noted the HR people's changing attitude toward the others in HR, includig me, they went very secretive about their responsibilities but were still sociable with me.

Another year went by and I was given what was a promotion when the Safety Engineer took volantary redundancy so I became "Administrator of Fire, Security and Health and Safety" with another pay rise. I had gained 9 security officers and managed to get an assistant to my fire responsibilities.

I noted the pressures on the HR people increasing and obviously worrying about their positions.

After 4 years I was 'offered' voluntarry redundancy with a very good package, thought about is overnight, went back in the next day and asked for more money and that was accepted.  Kicking myself for not asking for more.

They replaced me with one of the hourly paid handymen, my assistant took the money and security looked after themselves.

In conclusion I say HR people may be protecting themselves by not being too willing to share their roles.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/12/2023(UTC)