Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guitarzilla  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2024 11:49:57(UTC)
Guitarzilla

Hi All

On a recent fire risk assessment of our industrial building it was advised that fire doors should be inspected by a competent certificed professional on an annual basis based on Reg 10 of the RRFSO (Amendment from Jan 2023). From reading into this i can find no such requirement. The amendment is in relation to the Grenfell enquiry regards residential buildings over 11 meters high. When referring to the HM Goverment issued guide for risk assessments in factories and warehouses, it states monthly fire door checks only (good working order, close correctly etc). Nothing about competent certified checks. I suspect that this is an attempt by the FRA who can provide these checks against BS9999 which, in any case, isn't a legal requirement. Can any fire safety experts clarify the requirements for fire door inspections in industrial buildings and confirm that my research is correct? Thanks in advance. Al

thanks 1 user thanked Guitarzilla for this useful post.
Kate on 15/02/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2024 12:02:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2024 12:02:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

antbruce001  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2024 08:39:29(UTC)
antbruce001

At the moment there is no 'strict' legal requirement relating to industrial buildings for formal fire door inspections as described in the original post. However, there is a legal requirement within the Building Safety Act for these checks in relevant buildings. At the moment 'relevant buildings' are restricted to high-rise residential blocks. However, the intention is that over time the scope of 'relevant buildings' will be gradually expanded to cover all buildings.

Having said that, any FRA undertaken by a BAFE approved provider must include an assessment of what fire door inspections are being undertaken, with a requirement to raise a recommendation for ' at least 6 month third party formal inspections of all fire doors' if this is not in place. Failure to do this by the Fire Risk Assessor can result in loss of accreditation to BAFE. 

Hope this helps,

Tony.

thanks 1 user thanked antbruce001 for this useful post.
krisjackson1986 on 06/03/2024(UTC)
chris42  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2024 08:58:18(UTC)
chris42

Third party?

Not a recommendation for competent person so you could train your own people. Jobs for the boys! (and girls obviously).

firesafety101  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2024 13:19:07(UTC)
firesafety101

How does one know how to correctly inspect a fire door without some formal training.

There is a lot more to a fire door than meets the eye, e.g. are all the gaps (top, sides bottom) correct, does the closer work correctly, is there signs of damage to hinges, is the correct label on the top.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2024 14:00:51(UTC)
chris42

To be clear I was not suggesting no training, but I don’t see why an employee could not be sent on a relevant course.

To add to Fire safety’s list also 3 hinges spaced correctly, and all door furniture to be fire rated. Then of course you need to think about intumescent seals and smoke seals. For older doors you may want to consider the glass specification. I use drill bits to test the gap of between 2 and 4mm (ie a 4.5mm one should not fit - not the pointy end). You can learn a lot without a course, but if someone was to need to formally do this, I would want them to have had formal training.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/02/2024(UTC)