Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ashley.rimmer@outlook.com  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2024 14:16:59(UTC)

Hi All,

First post so please be gentle.

I am doing RAs for our HGV workshop and I was wondering if there was a concensious regarding the overnight storage of truck batteries and two oxy acetylene torchs next to each other. Really wondering should they be apart or next to each other looking at this as a "what if there was a fire"

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ash

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2024 14:38:28(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, nice and gentle ha ha whee are the acetylene cylinders stored, are they in a cage or on a trolley with their torches.

They should be in a cage with relevant signage but in a trolley is ok for a single set.

They should not be stored near the batteries.

Please don't tell us that the batteries are installed it that vary same area.

Take care.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 08/04/2024(UTC)
#3 Posted : 08 April 2024 14:47:52(UTC)

Hi firesafety101,

Thank you for feedback we currently have two oxyacetelyne torches on trolleys and currently we do keep them seperated, the question was based on a quote from our man that looks after our fire extingushers and it raised the hairs on the back of my neck hence question.

Thanks Ash

John Elder  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2024 15:17:35(UTC)
John Elder

Ashley

I hope you are well and welcome to the forum.

There are two pieces of guidance which are free to download that will answer most of everything you want to knonw.

They are both BCGA which is the British Compressed Gas Association document.

BCGA GN 14 Separation distances in the gases industry

BCGA CP 7 The safe use of oxy-fuel gas equipment (individual portable or mobile cylinder supply).

When it comes to actual gas cage storage and you want to know how to comply look at a third document 

BCGA CP 44 The storage of gs cylinders.

They also have a good risk assessment template in excel for you to use BCGA TIS 15 Risk assessment for the storage and use of gas cylinders for oxy fuel applications.

Also I just noticed there is BCGA GN 2 Guidance for the storage of gas cylinders in the workplace 

I hope these help.

Edited by user 08 April 2024 15:25:14(UTC)  | Reason: Added BCGA GN 2 Reference

thanks 2 users thanked John Elder for this useful post.
LancBob on 08/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 09/04/2024(UTC)
Messey  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2024 21:46:34(UTC)
Messey

I wonder if you have done a risk assessment whteher you actually need acetylene at all? Many businesses needlessly live with the risk of using this inherently unstable gas when there's no real need to as most (but not all) tasks can be completed  by substituting acetylene for a safer method

Acetylene does burn very hot in oxygen and for cutting work its almost untouchable - although plasma cutters are a safer alternative. But for soldering and light welding, there are a number of alternatives that can eliminate the risks associated with acetylene - including the disruption and damage to your premises if a cylinder was subject to heat and the fire service are let loose on it Its no good asking crusty old welder Fred. He's used acetylene for 40 years and his dad used it another 40 years before. He wont put up with it if you remove the bottle and may even resign This is what I was faced with when I suggested the removal of acetylene from my university workplace. We compromised and it was moved from a vulnerable workshop to an open air space 11 floors above. From "I use this every day", it was rarely used as it was a pain to access and move. This forced Fre to think of a plan B I rigged a tell tale covert strap to see if the bottle had moved from the cage and checked it weekly. Three months in, I removed the bottle quietly. It wasnt missed for 2 years!!!

thanks 2 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 10/04/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 10/04/2024(UTC)
#6 Posted : 09 April 2024 08:06:37(UTC)

Many thanks to all for your help and support it is very much appreciated and Messey, you have definetly given me food for thought and I will have a chat with the workshop manager on this.

I have manged to download from BCGA John thanks.

Ash

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2024 08:18:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: ashley.rimmer@outlook.com Go to Quoted Post
you have definetly given me food for thought and I will have a chat with the workshop manager on this

You might want to start with the why acetylene is used - most garages and exhaust centres tend to MIG weld with acetylene used for its heat to remove seized studs in manifolds etc. 

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2024 08:18:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: ashley.rimmer@outlook.com Go to Quoted Post
you have definetly given me food for thought and I will have a chat with the workshop manager on this

You might want to start with the why acetylene is used - most garages and exhaust centres tend to MIG weld with acetylene used for its heat to remove seized studs in manifolds etc. 

firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2024 11:38:01(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi Messey, would your hot works need a permit prior to starting the work.

ohreally  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2024 14:11:32(UTC)
ohreally

May I suggest if the oxy acetelene is used as a source of heat for maintenance/ component removal, you consider induction coils as an alternative.

thanks 1 user thanked ohreally for this useful post.
ashley.rimmer@outlook.com on 10/04/2024(UTC)
Messey  
#11 Posted : 10 April 2024 21:04:14(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Messey, would your hot works need a permit prior to starting the work.

No. These would be used in connection with routine work by a competent person that is subject to a previous RA, so our HWP system doesnt apply.

Our HWPs are for hot and/or dusty of a non routine nature which is project work, repairs or an event where no previous RAMS has been drawn up 

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 11/04/2024(UTC)
User is suspended until 18/11/2024 10:55:44(UTC) Cole33  
#12 Posted : 15 April 2024 12:41:47(UTC)
Cole33

You might want to begin with why acetylene is used. Many garages and exhaust centers typically employ MIG welding with acetylene for its heat, particularly to remove seized studs in manifolds, among other applications.