Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevinmuir  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2018 16:26:01(UTC)
kevinmuir

We have a 'supervisor' who before having to renew his Site Safety Supervisor qualification for construction sites has completed a level 3 SVQ in Construction Site Supervision. He has now refused to attend a renewal course for his SSSTS.

My opinion is I would rather see a SSSTS over the gold card as demonstrating competencey but its a bit like vocational over academic qualification. Whats everyone elses thought? Would they accept one over the other on a site?.

Centurion  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2018 09:08:43(UTC)
Centurion

Hi,

According to the SVQ Website, the SVQ3 is equivalent to SSTS so why bother?

Cheers

Andy

boblewis  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2018 09:12:05(UTC)
boblewis

Whynot use the smsts instead?

Centurion  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2018 12:59:52(UTC)
Centurion

Hi,

This should be of interest.

The following has been taken from the CSCS Site:-

Exemptions

If you have achieved a construction related NVQ or SVQ within the last two years and are applying for a CSCS card for the occupation the NVQ or SVQ relates to, you may not have to pass a CITB Health, safety and environment Test. Please check with your training provider. This is only available to new applications and cannot be used for card renewals.

Cheers

Andy

arnoldisnumerouno  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2018 21:00:27(UTC)
arnoldisnumerouno

In my opinion the CSCS gold card will be viewed as the higher level qualification. Overall it is just another example of the CITB confusing card and training schemes for people trying to gain a good footing. When CITB eventually move on and the card schemes are taken over it will hopefully be much more simple
hazel1  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2024 07:23:13(UTC)
hazel1

Originally Posted by: kevinmuir Go to Quoted Post

We have a 'supervisor' who before having to renew his Site Safety Supervisor qualification for construction sites has completed a level 3 SVQ in Construction Site Supervision. He has now refused to attend a renewal course for his SSSTS.

My opinion is I would rather see a SSSTS over the gold card as demonstrating competencey but its a bit like vocational over academic qualification. Whats everyone elses thought? Would they accept one over the other on a site?.

It sounds like the supervisor has a Level 3 SVQ in Construction Site Supervision and a supervisory CSCS card but is hesitant to renew his SSSTS certification. While the supervisory CSCS card demonstrates a broad range of managerial and technical skills, the SSSTS is specifically focused on up-to-date safety practices and regulations. If SSSTS renewal is a mandatory requirement for supervisors on your sites, his refusal could pose a compliance issue, despite his qualifications. It's important to consider both the broad skills and the specific safety certifications required for your site's standards.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2024 08:21:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Looks like hazel1 is another contender for the kate test, certainly a ressurectionist

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2024 08:21:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Looks like hazel1 is another contender for the kate test, certainly a ressurectionist

firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2024 11:24:33(UTC)
firesafety101

In my past experience Security won't let you in if you do not posess the card they want you to have.  CMIOSH has no creditation for them. Then there is the need for numerous phone calls. 

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Pirellipete on 24/04/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2024 14:38:53(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Roundtuit.

Does more than fail the Kate test in my book.

Would you go to a site with the title darkworldenterprise.com for training or accreditation?

hazel REPORTED.

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 19 April 2024 15:11:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

$$$$$$$ for a fake CSCS including the now withdrawn Yellow Visitor Card

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 19/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 19/04/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 19 April 2024 15:11:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

$$$$$$$ for a fake CSCS including the now withdrawn Yellow Visitor Card

peter gotch on 19/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 19/04/2024(UTC)
hazel1  
#13 Posted : 27 April 2024 07:16:48(UTC)
hazel1

Originally Posted by: arnoldisnumerouno Go to Quoted Post
In my opinion the CSCS gold card will be viewed as the higher level qualification. Overall it is just another example of the CITB confusing card and training schemes for people trying to gain a good footing. When CITB eventually move on and the card schemes are taken over it will hopefully be much more simple

In my view, the CSCS gold card is seen as a higher-level qualification. However, the complexity of the CITB's card and training schemes can be confusing for those entering the field. Hopefully, when CITB transitions out and new schemes take over, the process will become more straightforward.

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 27 April 2024 10:39:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hazel1 seems desperate to drum up business on the dodgy website REPORTED
peter gotch on 27/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 27/04/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 27 April 2024 10:39:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

Hazel1 seems desperate to drum up business on the dodgy website REPORTED
peter gotch on 27/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 27/04/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#16 Posted : 27 April 2024 16:55:17(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Roundtuit

So dodgy that what is possibly AI doesn't even realise that you would normally communicate in English UK to be worrying about the comparison in the thread, yet wants you to study at an English US "center".

Kate  
#17 Posted : 27 April 2024 19:03:47(UTC)
Kate

It's definitely artificial, and only possibly intelligence.