Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew1990  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2024 09:12:56(UTC)
Andrew1990

I am currently reviewing my organisations fire safety H&S arrangements and understand the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have changed how they respond to automatic fire alarms, where they will no longer be attending automatic fire alarm call outs unless signs of fire or the presence of fire has been confirmed by the caller (if the alarm is sounding from a single smoke detector only).

Based on this change, we introduced a fire alarm investigation procedure for employees to follow in the event of an automatic fire alarm, as well as fire safety awareness training but I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for specific training relating to the safe investigation of fire alarms and if so, what format this training is in (online, face to face etc.).

Any comments and advice is much appreciated.

O'Donnell54548  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2024 17:23:26(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

I always included this in the fire marshal training. 

Kate  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2024 18:01:50(UTC)
Kate

The training needs to be on site and about the ins and outs and ups and downs of your premises.  So I don't think you can outsource it.

Messey  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2024 21:29:56(UTC)
Messey

I agree with Kate that this is not a hugely difficult piece of training and can easily be done in house

Why not:

1) Google search "How to search - fire alarm" as there is plenty of advice from UK fire services such as Notts F&Rhttps://www.notts-fire.gov.uk/business-safety/supporting-business/unwanted-fire-signals/how-to-investigate-and-reset-your-fire-alarm/#:~:text=When%20investigating%20look%2C%20listen%20and,do%20not%20open%20the%20door.

2) Take your emergency plan and incorporate it into the processes learned from the Google search

3) Get advice &/or learning materials from your fire alarm company in relation to operating the fire alarm panel

4) There's your training. Give it, record it and repeat it

G. Raut  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2024 08:26:12(UTC)
G. Raut

Thanks Andrew for this important subject. I have a question regarding the fire alarm training, Will insurnace company or an audit have any objection if apart from the maintenance staff reset  the fire alarm?