Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichardRG  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2024 12:07:08(UTC)
RichardRG

We have multiple projects every year which focus on oil spill remediation on domestic dwellings. This usually involves excavation of a garden/drive and sometimes we need to take down garages/sheds and on the particularly badly contaminated houses, there's underpinning involved.

Under the CDM Regs, we are the PC and there is at most, three workers on the site at any one time. 90% of the time, these are directly employed operatives. Is there any guidance on what signage we need to legally affix on the site fencing? Apart from the required "Keep Out" and "Deep Excavation" signs, we would also add PPE requirements if required.

On our larger sites, we have large signs with many mandatory, warning and prohibition signs, along with gaps for snap frames containing the HSE poster or additional site information. All of our workers carry a HSE "Need to Know" leaflet in their vans as they're mobile. I just want to make sure I'm covering all bases!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2024 14:12:28(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Richard

I would be going for the minimum number that is practical to get across the message MOSTLY for people OTHER than the workforce.

Whilst noting that your profile indicates that you are in Northern Ireland, the guidance from the HSE in GB (L64) comments amongst other things:

39 Take care to avoid using too many signboards in close proximity. Signboards are only effective if they can be seen and understood. If too many signs are placed together there is a danger of confusion or of important information being overlooked.

So, if the workers KNOW that you have an safety footwear PPE rule, why add to the signs you mention by putting up an advisory sign about safety footwear?

....and, the relevant guidance also says that signs are needed when there is a significant RESIDUAL risk ONCE other inherently more effective risk reduction measures have been put in place.

Hence my focus would be more on thinking about physical methods of keeping unauthorised people away from the danger zone AND enabling safe access adjacent to each site (e.g. consideration of how to keep someone's driveway open if they have not been decanted from their home) and less on exactly what signs to put up.

BUT....with the recognition that your duty of care is to do what is reasonably practicable. Given the will, people will sometimes decide to trespass on construction sites however much you try to take reasonable measures to prevent this.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
RichardRG on 08/05/2024(UTC)
RichardRG  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2024 14:31:08(UTC)
RichardRG

Thanks Peter! That's really helpful. I find it's really easy to get caught up on what should be there vs what would be most effective and actually useful in practice.

Point taken regarding the PPE, all of the operatives would have completed site inductions and been provided with a site folder containing the risk assessment and method statement, which includes the required PPE for the job.

So yes, I think the main things I'd want to communicate to others would be:

• Keep Out (Mandatory)
  • Deep Excavations (Danger)

As they would be the most important messages and it ensures that the fencing is not cluttered with signs! The heras fencing does a good job of segregating the public/homeowners from the work area. If it's not possible to safely work around the homeowner, they are moved out whilst works progress.

Thanks again!