Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anet  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2024 09:47:39(UTC)
Anet

Could you please kindly advise- we have an external OH service who provides for this service, but recently we have notice that the numbers of Tier3 & Tier4 referral have increased, but not even one has comeback confirming any symptoms of HAVs. We have asked the service provided to add few more specific questions on the form such work history on vibrating tools, and more question on symptoms but we were told this is not possible and we have to use the form provided by the service provide which is very general.

Also, we are slowly introducing reactec vibration watch band but not to all areas yet. If somone is referred for next stage we monitor this person immediately  using the watch band until next appointment. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Viking-andy  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2024 19:26:26(UTC)
Viking-andy

Hi Anet

Could i ask what industry you are working in please to gain an insight of the equipment being used?

With the HAVS/CTS referals, we use one OH provider and the level of detail provided is comprehensive to be honest, so without seeing a blank form it would be difficult to compare, saying that what you are asking is covered by our provider.

When you say you've had an increase in referals, i would be concerned with this, and start looking at how you are controling the risk to vibration at work eg; ensuring you have a sufficient Vibration Management Programme this may include:

1. Ensuring you identify any potential hazardous tools and operations- this could be a list of tools used, models and what jobs they are used for.
  2. Assessing risk of tools and your operations-  published vibration data if no testing is required, plenty of ways to find this out, bear in mind if the tools are old or poorly maintainedd then expect higher readings than declared manufacures data.
  3. Ensure all are trained from managers down to the tool operator.
  4. Risk Reduction Programme- few things to mention, ergonomics, job rotation however be aware your not over exposuring all those involved with this, identifying exposure time, such as i know it will take 10 mins to cut a curb stone from that i can work out further exposure times for this activity, operating conditions again a landscaper rotorvating in compacted soil will be exposed to higher levels of vibration than if it was de-compacted before, i would expect the operator to be trained in how to avoid this at very least.
  5. Implemting a buy or high smooth policy- once you have your list of tools used, you could usee this to benchmark against whats available, you wouldnt be expected to change ever tool at once but you must be aware, again not sure what tools you are using.
  6. Audit Programme
  7. Health Survelliance Programme- all ready in as you state.

Regarding reatec watches, normally if an employee has seen OH they will normally advise on how many points they are able to go up too.

You must be aware, that if you are using these watches and employees are still being exposed to high levels of vibration, then by the time you collate all this date the employee has potentially been over exposed and the horse has bolted. 

This why your effort should be on reducing risk from some of the mentioned. You still have to show that you have reduced vibration risk to as low as is reasonably practicable.

I have both billateral HAVS/CTS from working in the construction idustry for years, its not the best thing to have i must say.

Hope some of this helps.

Andy

thanks 2 users thanked Viking-andy for this useful post.
peter gotch on 25/07/2024(UTC), LancBob on 01/08/2024(UTC)