Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A Kurdziel  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2024 10:16:59(UTC)
A Kurdziel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2dpkpjjnw2o

An interesting piece of news. Basically the CAA has looked at the issues surrounding peanuts and other similar allergens and tried to see if there is a genuine risk from airborne contamination. The study seems to indicate that airborne risk is much lower than assumed and the main risk is from surface contamination. Although the study was based on airliner passengers it could also apply to other places such as offices and classrooms where they(whoever they are) have been introducing sweeping bans against peanuts etc.  

LancBob  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2024 10:30:06(UTC)
LancBob

While not suffering myself from a peanut allergy or directly knowing anyone it was interesting to read that previous occupies of the seat may be a significant source of contamination and risk.

After forming the habit during the Covid pandemic of using hand sanitiser after touching surfaces to reduce the risk of transmission, I wonder if those with significant allergies take a similar approach?

My sons's school is strictly nut free but what stops a child munching a bag of salted peanuts before school and then touching a communal door handle and depositing allergens - kids are not the best for washing hands!!

thanks 1 user thanked LancBob for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC)
grim72  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2024 10:49:04(UTC)
grim72

Interesting but not sure I'd agree with asking the "at risk" passengers to board first and clean their own seat - surely that is putting them more at risk of contact? I'd have thought that if someone is flagged as "at risk" then the cabin crew should focus on a deep clean of those seats prior to boarding? Just my thoughts after reading the article.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:03:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Mankind is merely reaping what it has sown where the drive for the "ultra clean" germ free has meant general immunity has decreased. Similarly the trend for alleged intolerance has ensured through lack of exposure an exassipation of symptoms in the individuals.

Current treatments could be considered medieval in their approach but in essence consist of exposing the individual to ever increasing amounts of allergen such as peanuts. Of course those who reject the MMR vaccine for their child in case of supposed autism would be unlikley to accept such a barbaric approach.

Perhaps in the interests of Health & Safety anyone with an allergy should become "the boy in the bubble" fully enveloped against what the world may, in the minutest and absolute remotest possibility expose them to.

Meanwhile we will continue to suffer sweeping bans whilst operators remain scared of being sued, or they may start to see sense like the SunExpress flight earlier this year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0kkzzy8eqjo

Anyone telling me the hotels, bars, food courts etc. in the airport these travellers passed through are nut free?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:03:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Mankind is merely reaping what it has sown where the drive for the "ultra clean" germ free has meant general immunity has decreased. Similarly the trend for alleged intolerance has ensured through lack of exposure an exassipation of symptoms in the individuals.

Current treatments could be considered medieval in their approach but in essence consist of exposing the individual to ever increasing amounts of allergen such as peanuts. Of course those who reject the MMR vaccine for their child in case of supposed autism would be unlikley to accept such a barbaric approach.

Perhaps in the interests of Health & Safety anyone with an allergy should become "the boy in the bubble" fully enveloped against what the world may, in the minutest and absolute remotest possibility expose them to.

Meanwhile we will continue to suffer sweeping bans whilst operators remain scared of being sued, or they may start to see sense like the SunExpress flight earlier this year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0kkzzy8eqjo

Anyone telling me the hotels, bars, food courts etc. in the airport these travellers passed through are nut free?

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:07:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: grim72 Go to Quoted Post
I'd have thought that if someone is flagged as "at risk" then the cabin crew should focus on a deep clean of those seats prior to boarding?

A certain Irish based airline don't even do a dust off between departures - you really anticipate (that without a significant charge) they would complete a deep clean?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:07:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: grim72 Go to Quoted Post
I'd have thought that if someone is flagged as "at risk" then the cabin crew should focus on a deep clean of those seats prior to boarding?

A certain Irish based airline don't even do a dust off between departures - you really anticipate (that without a significant charge) they would complete a deep clean?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:57:29(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My main point  is that there does not seem to be much science behind the idea that a whiff of peanut can set off an anaphylactic shock.  The idea that people clean their own seats is also daft. The best idea is that the airline clean the plane between flights,  but whether that will happen is anyone’s guess.

Also there is some science behind Roundtuit’s assertion that  we need some exposure to allergens to reduce the likelihood of us developing an allergy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-69068815 . Babies if fed small amounts of peanut products seem  71% less likely to develop peanut allergies than people who are only exposed to peanuts later in life.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2024 13:38:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: LancBob Go to Quoted Post
After forming the habit during the Covid pandemic of using hand sanitiser after touching surfaces to reduce the risk of transmission

The paranoia of touch points seems to have significantly declined - no one running round every 15 minutes cleaning door handles (and filling the tick sheet), the GP surgery self service screens back on (with an empty sanitiser bottle at the side), the supermarkets forcing shoppers to self check-outs, the fast food joints with their touch screen order points, ATM's, petrol pumps (here, having been in a diesel for many years I do make use of the free gloves).

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2024 13:38:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: LancBob Go to Quoted Post
After forming the habit during the Covid pandemic of using hand sanitiser after touching surfaces to reduce the risk of transmission

The paranoia of touch points seems to have significantly declined - no one running round every 15 minutes cleaning door handles (and filling the tick sheet), the GP surgery self service screens back on (with an empty sanitiser bottle at the side), the supermarkets forcing shoppers to self check-outs, the fast food joints with their touch screen order points, ATM's, petrol pumps (here, having been in a diesel for many years I do make use of the free gloves).

peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2024 16:09:33(UTC)
peter gotch

Thanks AK for highlighting this article.

Some of the comments online were distinctly unsympathetic!

I'm not sure that priority boarding for those with nut allergies will take off (pun intende).

But, it seems to me that those with a severe nut allergy might reasonably expect to wipe surfaces in their vicinity at whatever time they board - just as they might when sitting in the airport lounge or if going to the toilet once on board.

Otherwise, if the airlines think there is a big problem, then the only solution would appear to be a deep clean between each flight and even the allergy sufferers might think twice about the impact on prices. 

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
nic168 on 18/10/2024(UTC)