Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ASW94  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2024 09:06:03(UTC)
ASW94

Hi all,

I did have a quick search using the forum search tool to see if anyone had mentioned this before, so apologies if it's already been discussed.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the requirements imposed on scaffolding by PUWER and WAHR. I realise this might sound a bit vague so I've included some specifics:

Does one regulation supersede the other regarding scaffolding requirements?

Are there any overlapping requirements between the two, such as inspection requirements?

Does one apply when the scaffold is considered a working platform (WAHR), while the other (PUWER) applies when it is a structure used for other purposes, e.g. protection scaffold only?

Thanks in advance!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2024 11:15:38(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi ASW

One Code of Regulations does not trump another unless this is explicitly stated. So in this case, WAH Regs and PUWER stand side by side.

WAH Regs tell you e.g. what MINIMUM edge protection might be required. Possibly the nature of the use means that your risk assessment indicates that PUWER (and CDM) says that this is not enough.

As for inspections, WAH Regs tells you that a scaffold (in general) should not be used unless it has been inspected within the previous 7 days AND after any event such as weather liable to impact on its safety.

But, if it is a support scaffold (or both access/support) then perhaps you have a Permit to Load issued on the basis of the principles set out in BS5975 for temporary works - that might Permit set conditions for inspections above and beyond those stipulated in WAH Regs.