Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jarsmith83  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2013 10:38:14(UTC)
jarsmith83

In light of a recent post regarding hoop ladders, I have decided to review this type of access across my contract. Can anyone clarify the following: - Is there a requirement for hoops to be placed on ladders? and if so, what is the height in which these should be in use? - Is there a requirement for upright ladders to have a fall arrest system in place? If so, is there a industry standard system? - Lastly, Where fall arrest systems cannot be provided on upright ladders, where practical, I am of the mind that these should be gated. What is the views of the other forum users on this point? If anyone could point me in the direction of guidance or HSE statements etc linked to any of these points I would be most grateful. Thank you all in advance.........
achrn  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2013 11:16:47(UTC)
achrn

Personally, I think the current situation is that it's all a mess. As far as I can work out, once upon a time we had hoops on ladders and that was accepted practice. Some bright spark wrote a research paper saying hoops weren't a universal panacea that completely eliminated all hazards from falling off ladders. Wowee. Anyone that's climbed pretty much any hooped ladder could have come up with that conclusion - a cage with gaps you fit through isn't a guarantee that you won't fall through the gaps, and falling down a ladder inside the hoops is going to hurt even if you don't fall out through the cage. Then there were ladder fall-arrests, and some people put fall-arrest systems on hooped ladders. Then someone said (presumably with much sucking of teeth) 'aha, that might not be a good idea - if you put a fall arrest on a hooped ladder then it might not work as expected'. (But they didn't say anything useful like whether it was more likely than not to work, or whether it would actually make things worse). Then HSE said that you should think very carefully about the implications of anything, but shouldn't necessarily adopt any particular course of action. Hoops aren't fully effective, but a fall arrest inside hoops might not work as it should, but you shouldn't have a blanket hoop removal policy, but you shouldn't not use fall arrests inside hoops. As far as I can see, they've said just enough to be certain that you've done something wrong or contrary to guidance whatever you do.
jarsmith83  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2013 11:55:11(UTC)
jarsmith83

Whilst I totally agree with your comments (or rant :-)) My main gripe is finding fully conclusive information on my questions posed. There doesn't seem to be anything that is concrete in advice. I was under the impression that hoops where fitted to ladders around the 2.4m mark however, I have never really looked into this and cannot find information which states a height to be implemented. Work at height regs states prevent firstly, so are gates recommended? Where gates cannot be provided is a fall arrest system to be adopted as standard? It would be useful if the HSE or indeed IOSH would investigate this area as there are thousands of plant rooms and roof access points which use these systems, so surely it would be beneficial? Again any answers that can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Kate  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2013 14:23:32(UTC)
Kate

There's a lengthy research report on the topic somewhere on the HSE website, that achrn has succintly summarised.
chas  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2013 14:39:07(UTC)
chas

Try and get hold of a copy of BS4211. It covers fixed vertical ladders and provision of hoops etc.
jarsmith83  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2013 18:30:42(UTC)
jarsmith83

Hi Kate: Already read through that report. That is what initiated my interest. Chas: Any ideas how to get a copy or industry publication referring to this document? As this sounds ideal. Thanks
godscrasher  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2013 21:20:16(UTC)
godscrasher

chas  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2013 08:50:50(UTC)
chas

The following link may be of interest, it gives some dimensions. http://www.accessladdersuk.com/bs4211/ I believe the BS was last updated in 2008 and so any vertical ladder fitted after that date should be designed to comply. You will have to purchase the BS for all the fine detail or find someone who has access to the various technical databases that are available. A search on the web will also give some useful pointers.
jarsmith83  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2013 08:52:42(UTC)
jarsmith83

Does anyone have a copy of BS 5395-3 or BS 4211 they are willing to share.
bilbo  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2013 09:58:57(UTC)
bilbo

jarsmith83 - BS are copyrighted documents - you can probably access a copy at the local library or indeed purchase your own.
achrn  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2013 10:15:27(UTC)
achrn

chas wrote:
Try and get hold of a copy of BS4211. It covers fixed vertical ladders and provision of hoops etc.
There's also BS EN ISO 14122-4:2004 (with an amendment 1 in 2010), which is Safety of machinery - Permanent means of access to machinery - Part 4: Fixed ladders Interestingly that says:
Quote:
4.3 Conditions for installation of an fall protection device 4.3.1 Conditions requiring the installation of an fall protection device The ladder shall be fitted with a fall protection device when: a) height of the ladder flight is more than 3000 mm; b) height of the ladder is 3000 mm or less, but at the departure area there is the risk of falling an additional distance. In this case, the total distance of fall from the upper level of the ladder could be more than 3000 mm. 4.3.2 Choice of suitable type of fall protection device For the selection of a suitable type of fall protection device, a risk assessment in accordance with EN ISO 14121-1 shall be made for each particular application. [blaah blaah - aspects to be taken into account - blaah blaah] The safety cage shall be the preferred option because it is always present and the actual safety function is independent of the operator’s actions. Where it is not possible to install a ladder with a safety cage, due to space restrictions and special access conditions, a fall arrester shall be provided. A fall arrester shall only be used on low-frequency accesses and significant total climbing heights.
Which rather contradicts HSEs stuff about cages are bad (I simplify somewhat).
jarsmith83  
#12 Posted : 02 May 2013 11:38:37(UTC)
jarsmith83

BS 4211 states safety cages above 3000mm. The HSEs report does not state that cages are bad used on there own they? BS 4211 also states the need for gates above 1999mm.
jarsmith83  
#13 Posted : 02 May 2013 11:39:38(UTC)
jarsmith83

*The HSEs report does not state that cages are bad used on there own do they?
Steve e ashton  
#14 Posted : 15 May 2013 14:48:03(UTC)
Steve e ashton

A very similar query was discussed in March last year (with very similar views expressed...): http://forum.iosh.co.uk/...spx?g=posts&t=104578 Steve
wjp62  
#15 Posted : 15 May 2013 14:56:17(UTC)
wjp62

The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations - ACOP to Regulation 13 states: Fixed ladders at an angle of less than 15 degrees to the vertical (a pitch of more than 75 degrees) which are more than 2.5 m high should where possible be fitted with suitable safety hoops or permanently fixed fall arrest systems. Hoops should be at intervals of not more than 900 mm measured along the stiles, and should commence at a height of 2.5 m above the base of the ladder. The top hoop should be in line with the top of the fencing on the platform served by the ladder. Where a ladder rises less than 2.5 m, but is elevated so that it is possible to fall a distance of more than 2 m, a single hoop should be provided in line with the top of the fencing. Where the top of a ladder passes through a fenced hole in a floor, a hoop need not be provided at that point. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf
jarsmith83  
#16 Posted : 15 May 2013 16:15:10(UTC)
jarsmith83

The One wrote:
The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations - ACOP to Regulation 13 states: Fixed ladders at an angle of less than 15 degrees to the vertical (a pitch of more than 75 degrees) which are more than 2.5 m high should where possible be fitted with suitable safety hoops or permanently fixed fall arrest systems. Hoops should be at intervals of not more than 900 mm measured along the stiles, and should commence at a height of 2.5 m above the base of the ladder. The top hoop should be in line with the top of the fencing on the platform served by the ladder. Where a ladder rises less than 2.5 m, but is elevated so that it is possible to fall a distance of more than 2 m, a single hoop should be provided in line with the top of the fencing. Where the top of a ladder passes through a fenced hole in a floor, a hoop need not be provided at that point. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf
Fantastic! How the hell did I miss that? I read through the regs a couple of time looking for that and could not source. Highlights why this forum can be so useful. Thank you to all the contributors of this thread as the regs combined with the BS standards have now helped big time.
carolinehermanowicz  
#17 Posted : 27 April 2016 15:36:10(UTC)
carolinehermanowicz

Hi All, I know this post is quite old but I do no see the above post in The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations 1992 however I have seen on Google similar statements. Why is it not in the regs? "The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations - ACOP to Regulation 13 states: Fixed ladders at an angle of less than 15 degrees to the vertical (a pitch of more than 75 degrees) which are more than 2.5 m high should where possible be fitted with suitable safety hoops or permanently fixed fall arrest systems. Hoops should be at intervals of not more than 900 mm measured along the stiles, and should commence at a height of 2.5 m above the base of the ladder. The top hoop should be in line with the top of the fencing on the platform served by the ladder. Where a ladder rises less than 2.5 m, but is elevated so that it is possible to fall a distance of more than 2 m, a single hoop should be provided in line with the top of the fencing. Where the top of a ladder passes through a fenced hole in a floor, a hoop need not be provided at that point. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf"
JohnW  
#18 Posted : 27 April 2016 16:45:40(UTC)
JohnW

Can I just ask a quick question (having skimmed the thread and not having access to the relevant BS). Do the BS say anything about the diameter of the hoops? I'm quite a small person and I do climb these things occasionally to get on top of storage tanks. I've always considered the hoops to be something to lean against if you get tired or you want to flick a piece of rusty paint out of your eye! I've tried leaning back against a hoop and I will not try it again!! :o/ John
Xavier123  
#19 Posted : 28 April 2016 12:07:07(UTC)
Xavier123

carolinehermanowicz wrote:
Hi All, I know this post is quite old but I do no see the above post in The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations 1992 however I have seen on Google similar statements. Why is it not in the regs? "The Workplace, Health Safety and Welfare Regulations - ACOP to Regulation 13 states: Fixed ladders at an angle of less than 15 degrees to the vertical (a pitch of more than 75 degrees) which are more than 2.5 m high should where possible be fitted with suitable safety hoops or permanently fixed fall arrest systems. Hoops should be at intervals of not more than 900 mm measured along the stiles, and should commence at a height of 2.5 m above the base of the ladder. The top hoop should be in line with the top of the fencing on the platform served by the ladder. Where a ladder rises less than 2.5 m, but is elevated so that it is possible to fall a distance of more than 2 m, a single hoop should be provided in line with the top of the fencing. Where the top of a ladder passes through a fenced hole in a floor, a hoop need not be provided at that point. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf"
I presume it'll be because the L24 ACoP has been updated since this thread. At a guess. I can't actually remember if this was ever in there (one presumes so) but you're right that it is not there now. Quite probably because of the wooliness of the existing research.
JohnW  
#20 Posted : 28 April 2016 14:48:41(UTC)
JohnW

Yes, in my archive I have an old pdf of L24 dated 2010. The quote above is from para 124 of the ACOP. For Reg 13, Fixed Ladders are dealt with in paras 199-126. The 2013 edition has no guidance on fixed ladders, other than defining them as a 'traffic route' and this para:
Quote:
Fixed ladders or steep stairs may be used where a conventional staircase cannot be accommodated, provided they are only used by people who are capable of using them safely and any loads can be carried safely.
and the references include, BS 4211:2005+A1:2008 Specification for permanently fixed ladders British Standards Institution
jay  
#21 Posted : 28 April 2016 14:59:55(UTC)
jay

The reason why it is not in the revised L 24 ACoP is because Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations Regulation 13(1)-(4) was revoked by the Work at Height Regulations 2005.
Goldy  
#22 Posted : 22 December 2023 15:40:42(UTC)
Goldy

Hoops on ladders originally came about when persons and crane loads were using the same shaft to access mines etc. They were designed to prevent injury to persons on ladder from swinging loads on hoists/cranes using the shaft.

thanks 1 user thanked Goldy for this useful post.
Pirellipete on 02/01/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#23 Posted : 22 December 2023 16:04:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Seven year old thread exhumation?

Roundtuit  
#24 Posted : 22 December 2023 16:04:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Seven year old thread exhumation?

peter gotch  
#25 Posted : 24 December 2023 15:59:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Roundtuit, unusual but I don't think this is yet another spammer, but rather a Forum user popping in after a long absence.

In places like Cornwall, the miners quite often hitched a ride on the hoist to avoid climbing ladders from great depths. Effectively the forerunner of the Paternoster lift now largely out of fashion.