Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2015 10:41:41(UTC)
chris42

What do others do with regard to servicing and thorough examination periods regarding roller shutter doors. By this I mean ones to workshop entrances that you may drive a fork truck through when open, not the shop front type.

There seems to be a number of web sites all wanting to sell you their services, but so have a vested interest.

There also seemed to be some difference of opinion on the Internet if the they require PUWER or LOLER thorough inspections or any at all.

There was a lack of any sort of clarity regarding servicing.

With the only real example being a case where a door came down at a farm, but that was due to poor fitment. The HSE site kept taking me to the legislation covering initial installation.

My view would be that they would require PUWER thorough examinations ( as they are equipment) and that just out of good sense servicing annually. Interestingly the insurance company we use for our thorough examinations have not said anything about these items. But does anyone know if it states the requirements anywhere.

Thanks for any help
Chris
Animax01  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2015 10:52:16(UTC)
Animax01

We have just had some installed so asked the engineer the very same question... In short, basic maintenance is all that is required. A lot of companies will offer this service, but if you have an engineer on-site who can lubricate the moving parts and check it over, then I would suggest you do that. These aren't my words directly, this is what the shutter door installer advised me as there is very little to touch once they are installed.

The obvious things like daily checks prior to use and the reporting of faults will still stand, but this is fairly common practice for most pieces of equipment etc.

I would say that its not LOLER, but definitely PUWER.

Andrew W Walker  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2015 10:58:16(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Chris.

Have a look at this from the HSE:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/wo...inery/lift-equipment.htm

Roller shutter doors do not fall under LOLER.

Andy
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2015 11:11:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Speaking of roller doors: Make sure that the guys don’t use their FLT to open up the doors. Some of our inspectors were working in a place where they did this and they managed to totally trash the gearing on a roller door and it came crashing down just missing one of our inspectors by inches.
Ian Bell  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2015 11:49:41(UTC)
Ian Bell

Roller doors do not come under LOLER. Why would they? They aren't lifting equipment.

Neither would I include them under PUWER - they are not work equipment. They are part of the building.

For regulatory justification - try the Health, Safety & Welfare Regs - their is a maintenance requirement within those regs, keeping the building/workplace in a safe condition etc.
David Bannister  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2015 12:51:56(UTC)
David Bannister

Discussed here in 2012, with the same comments made: http://forum.iosh.co.uk/?g=posts&t=105170
DP  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2015 14:19:18(UTC)
DP

Chris try and find the details on the ASDA distribution Centre in Skelmersdale Lancashire I recall they had a prosecution on this - I seen to recall it was under PUWER failings.
DP  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2015 14:23:36(UTC)
DP

http://www.iirsm.org/Res...tmag_IIRSM_March2011.pdf

it was the Welfare regs sorry.

But they do come under PUWER not LOLER
chris42  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2015 14:55:29(UTC)
chris42

Thanks all for your comments and links. As per my original post I didn't think it could come under LOLER, but googling it seemed to bring up the odd comment. Though I feel LOLER can be definitely rules out.

However it is an interesting debate over is it work equipment or part of the building. There does seem a split (also on the link to the previous IOSH thread).

I also note from the past thread that it was suggested that the door itself was part of the building but the motor itself was not. But how would you do a thorough examination of a motor ?

Obviously a bit more digging for me to do.

Again thanks all.

chris42  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2015 15:29:22(UTC)
chris42

Both of the extracts below seem to consider that they are also machinery / work equipment. But again is that only if they are powered with a motor. I was going to ask the insurance inspector next visit, but they are the same company that the web quote below is from.

From HSE Web site :-
concerning products produced for permanent incorporation in building and civil engineering works enforce the provisions of the direct acting EU Regulation 305/2011. Where such products are also machinery (eg powered roller shutter doors), they will also have to meet the Machinery Directive

From well known insurance company web site :-
In-service inspection for work equipment
We provide routine in-service inspections for many types of
work equipment including roller shutter doors, injection
moulding machines, waste compactors, guillotines, workshop
machinery and ladders.

What fun
Chris

Ian Bell  
#11 Posted : 10 June 2015 17:08:22(UTC)
Ian Bell

The drive motor would be part of the roller door assembly - which is part of the building.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter under which regulations they fall - the building/roller shutter door of whatever type, should be adequately maintained.
Ian Bell  
#12 Posted : 10 June 2015 17:50:20(UTC)
Ian Bell

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/l24.pdf

Regulation 5 & 18 refers to powered doors and maintenance requirements.
Fletch8303  
#13 Posted : 10 June 2015 18:02:39(UTC)
Fletch8303

Yesterday we had our roller shutter doors inspected to follow PUWER 1998. This is a requirement in an annual basis.
Ian Bell  
#14 Posted : 10 June 2015 20:35:41(UTC)
Ian Bell

Where does the annual requirement come from. Certainly not direct from h&s legislation - PUWER/Welfare Regs.

A British Standard?

Or just what the door salesman said?
Fletch8303  
#15 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:23:37(UTC)
Fletch8303

Ian Bell  
#16 Posted : 10 June 2015 23:01:25(UTC)
Ian Bell

So it the opinion of Zurich, nothing more.

I guess in reality, there are lots of options out there - some will repair upon breakdown and never inspect. Other companies might have some regular checks/inspections - depending upon their own maintenance requirements/how often a powered roller door might be used.
SteveForrest  
#17 Posted : 12 July 2019 14:22:53(UTC)
SteveForrest

Have a look here https://www.dhfonline.org.uk/pg/publications/26.htm

Alot of useful information which brings together HSE & British Standards.

Hsquared14  
#18 Posted : 13 July 2019 11:37:24(UTC)
Hsquared14

I always thought they needed inspection under PUWER but that some types of door raising systems do come under LOLER so it depends on what sort of door it is and how it works. That’s the advice I’ve had recently from Allianz all doors need PUWER and some opening gear falls under LOLER
Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 13 March 2024 08:27:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rahul45 REPORTED commercial hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 13/03/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 13 March 2024 08:27:33(UTC)
Roundtuit

Rahul45 REPORTED commercial hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/03/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 13/03/2024(UTC)
Coyle07  
#21 Posted : 13 March 2024 09:10:03(UTC)
Coyle07

***Apologies, I didnt realise this post had been necro'd by a bot!***

As many others have said, it does not come under LOLER (L113 specifically gives roller shutter doors as an example of equipment and operations not covered).

From a practical perspective, we have all our roller doors, loading docks and speed doors serviced annually by the installer (or ad-hoc if there's damage or a reported issue).  We get a Job Sheet describing the works carried out.  The job sheet doesn't reference the works being carried out in compliance with any specific legislation.

For me, I wouldn't get tied up on which piece of legislation it is, I would think back to your basic duty under the Workplace health, safety and welfare regs, where you have a duty to ensure the workplace and any equipment is maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order, and in good repair.

The scope of PUWER is so large that you could argue it falls under reg 5, but my advice would be to not over complicate it.  You need to make sure the workplace is safe and equipment in good working order.  Unless risk assessment or environment say otherwise, an annual inspection is - in my opinion - reasonably practical.

Edited by user 13 March 2024 09:11:11(UTC)  | Reason: Bot

achrn  
#22 Posted : 13 March 2024 13:30:10(UTC)
achrn

Does your roller shutter risk assessmnet cover this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLhNm5kars 

Now you've seen it happen, it's presumably reasonably foreseeable...