Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Taylor25811  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2016 13:49:09(UTC)
Taylor25811

Does anyone know where I could purchase the IOSH risk assessment game for some in-house training, I used it as part of the MS course in my old job and seemed to be quite a good learning tool.
Crusader  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2016 20:58:42(UTC)
Crusader

We thought of, but not done it yet, of staging the hazards in our workplace and creating a similar game of hazard spotting and implementing controls. You could stills or a make a video of your own workplace.
RiskyBusiness  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2016 08:55:36(UTC)
RiskyBusiness

I am not familiar with the IOSH game, but have used this one to good effect;
http://www.hazandzard.co...-hazard-management-game/

Ross
aud  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2016 20:17:01(UTC)
aud

I dislike the IOSH Managing Safety risk assessment technique and the associated (contrived) board game.

I now realise why so many of my clients have so many over-complicated and frankly rather pointless, risk assessment 'records', as I attended this course last year just to see what it covered. (Yes I passed!!). I despair, I really do, I expect better of IOSH.

The methodology has no scientific validation or even HSE backing, and whilst may be of use in training SAFETY people, is way too OTT for managers and as an effective and usable method in the real world.

Think carefully about what you are trying to achieve, with whom, and then consider what tools and techniques would support this. Ask for more ideas on this forum . . . ?

SHV  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2016 20:38:23(UTC)
SHV

aud wrote:
I dislike the IOSH Managing Safety risk assessment technique and the associated (contrived) board game.

I now realise why so many of my clients have so many over-complicated and frankly rather pointless, risk assessment 'records', as I attended this course last year just to see what it covered. (Yes I passed!!). I despair, I really do, I expect better of IOSH.

The methodology has no scientific validation or even HSE backing, and whilst may be of use in training SAFETY people, is way too OTT for managers and as an effective and usable method in the real world.

Think carefully about what you are trying to achieve, with whom, and then consider what tools and techniques would support this. Ask for more ideas on this forum . . . ?

I knew A bit side tracking from original post but few things..

Health and Safety is not sexy , and you should sell in what ever you can, so game could be a proper way

Have you seen Risk assessment samples in HSE websites? then you may come up with one things , do not engage with hazard, risk assessments and other related terminologies because it is very subjective issue and every body has own interpretation..leave it

SHV
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2024 07:12:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

davisjohn REPORTED

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 23/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/07/2024(UTC), chris42 on 23/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/07/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2024 07:12:36(UTC)
Roundtuit

davisjohn REPORTED

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 23/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/07/2024(UTC), chris42 on 23/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/07/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2024 10:32:38(UTC)
peter gotch

Roundtuit

Another "interesting" name chosen by the bot. 

davisjohn, which if you switched it would be John Davis.

Has the bot been looking at my family tree?

John Davis Gotch was around when the family bank went bust.

O'Donnell54548  
#9 Posted : 29 July 2024 07:23:50(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Delivered the IOSH Managing Safely for many years. All I can comment is when ever I delivered a re-qual my first question to the group was "what has changed in your workplace since you completed the IOSH Managing Safely course?". The universal answer was "NOTHING". 

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2024 10:53:28(UTC)
peter gotch

O'Donnell, that is a VERY interesting comment!

Did you do any analysis as to why it would appear that delegates attending IOSH MS appeared to achieve little, if anything, in terms of improving H&S at the coalface?

[NOTE - I am not expecting that your answer might be statistically significant!]

O'Donnell54548  
#11 Posted : 30 July 2024 15:39:53(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

It became clear to me Peter that many on the courses were simply ticking a corporate box, management roles which required them to successfully complete the IOSH course, but no intention of them having any input on safety once back in the workplace.

thanks 1 user thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 30/07/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 30 July 2024 16:05:08(UTC)
peter gotch

Thanks O'Donnell

If replicated, good for the coffers of the training providers and IOSH Services Ltd.

Not good in terms of advancing the principle that OSH should be owned by line managers. 

Not good in terms of business productivity - organisations sending staff on courses that take up a lot of otherwise productive hours to little effect.

O'Donnell54548  
#13 Posted : 31 July 2024 07:52:48(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Thanks O'Donnell

If replicated, good for the coffers of the training providers and IOSH Services Ltd.

Not good in terms of advancing the principle that OSH should be owned by line managers. 

Not good in terms of business productivity - organisations sending staff on courses that take up a lot of otherwise productive hours to little effect.

I agree. In my honest opinion this course should be aimed as an introduction to H&S as a carreer, rather than at Operational Managers. It is not suitable for many of the attendees who will come from employers with a H&S Advisor, or even a H&S Team, and therefore have minimum involvement in the day to day application of H&S. I further believe (here comes the controversy) that it stems from the attitude of many H&S bods that they have no responsibilites for health and safety, it's all on the employer and managers.  

Holliday42333  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2024 09:50:34(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Thanks O'Donnell

I agree. In my honest opinion this course should be aimed as an introduction to H&S as a carreer, rather than at Operational Managers. It is not suitable for many of the attendees who will come from employers with a H&S Advisor, or even a H&S Team, and therefore have minimum involvement in the day to day application of H&S. I further believe (here comes the controversy) that it stems from the attitude of many H&S bods that they have no responsibilites for health and safety, it's all on the employer and managers.  

I fully understand where you are coming from with your (controversial) comment, however as someone who has watched from the public gallery a manager getting absolutely rinsed in court for trying to argue that the H&S bod was responsible for the risk assessment/SSOW that they had directed the H&S bod to complete I can tell you that when tested at law the outcome was VERY clear that the responsibility was ALL on the employer and managers.  As a side note the manager in question was found in contempt for repeatedly challenging the court over the H&S bod being responsible.

peter gotch  
#15 Posted : 02 August 2024 11:42:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi O'Donnell, I'm also on the other side of the controversy.

Takes me back to the day I served a Prohibition Notice on a company as regards the use of a machine.

Huge factory with a full time HSE Manager.

But I asked to see the Works Manager who seemed a bit put out that I thought he should sign for the Notice.

"Who is responsible for output in this factory?"

"I am."

"Who is responsible for the quality of output in this factory?"

"I am."

"So, who is responsible for making sure that the output is done with appropriate health and safety standards?"

Didn't get an answer to that question, so said Works Manager got my standard comment about line managers owning H&S as an integral part of the job function.

An onsite H&S professional was a bit rare in those days.

However I had just done 4 years in construction and there were SOOOO many site agents who tried to make out that H&S was down to the Safety Bod even if they were a consultant who visited once a month.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 02/08/2024(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2024 05:34:56(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Holliday 42333 & peter gotch

Although your comments are both valid and true, in the scenarios in which they are related, they perpetrate the opinion that H&S professional have no responsibility, or comeback, with regards to H&S in the workplace. For example: if you are a H&S MANAGER, then surely it is YOUR duty YOUR role to Manage H&S? The clue is in the job title. 

More controversy I know, but I have spent too many years working for Senior H&S Managers who could give you a two hour presentation on risk assessment, but could not actually carryout the simpliest RAM in practice, and then when anything goes wrong blame the Managers.  

peter gotch  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2024 10:39:24(UTC)
peter gotch

Morning O'Donnell

I have always been a bit concerned when the Safety Bods have titles such as Director, Manager or Officer.

For the simple reason that such titles DO imply that these people should be managing and/or policing.

.....and there are plenty of organisations in which line managers are more than content for this to be the case.