Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigpub  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2016 17:13:32(UTC)
bigpub

Has anybody completed the NCRQ diploma. What was it like and it any good?
peter80  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2016 09:47:11(UTC)
peter80

Highly recommend it. Really interesting way of learning through case studies, makes you think and change your perception of what you thought you knew. Tutors are top class and respond within minutes - they use ex-HSE inspectors so they really know their stuff. Their student support forum is also really useful not just to help with study but to network. There is talk on there that they have overtaken NEBOSH already in numbers of Dip students signing up! Downsides - the third unit isn't released yet (due in Sept) and it can be frustrating waiting two weeks for assignments to be marked (although the feedback you get is detailed and builds your confidence). Go for it.
Spencer Owen  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2016 10:58:40(UTC)
Spencer Owen

Peter80, I'm assuming you did this online? If so, could you let us know who you did it with as I'd be interested in starting the NCRQ Dip. Cheers.
jwk  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2016 15:28:01(UTC)
jwk

You do the NCRQ Dip with NCRQ.... John
peter80  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2016 16:09:13(UTC)
peter80

Hi Spencer - yes as John said it is done directly with NCRQ.
Spencer Owen  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2016 16:42:54(UTC)
Spencer Owen

Ah, I thought it was like NEBOSH and could be done through various providers! Thanks!
gerrysharpe  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2016 13:15:56(UTC)
gerrysharpe

I did my first 2 modules with NCRQ, just need to wait til September to do my final one for my Diploma. Unlike Nebosh, all the modules are Level 6 Qualifications, and you do not have to pay extra for any exams as their isn't any. The bulk of the work is through assignments and ideally it helps if your working in a H&S environment to be able to relate to the Case Studies. Yes they do tend to take their time with the marking but since you don't need to pay any extra this isn't too bad. The good thing is if you start now, by the time you finish the second module it'll be near September and you'll be able to start your final one for the Diploma. The NCRQ certificates will give you Tech membership Plus your experiance and the Diploma will take you to Grad/Chartered with Experiance and CPD etc
Spencer Owen  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2016 14:24:45(UTC)
Spencer Owen

gerrysharpe wrote:
I did my first 2 modules with NCRQ, just need to wait til September to do my final one for my Diploma. Unlike Nebosh, all the modules are Level 6 Qualifications, and you do not have to pay extra for any exams as their isn't any. The bulk of the work is through assignments and ideally it helps if your working in a H&S environment to be able to relate to the Case Studies. Yes they do tend to take their time with the marking but since you don't need to pay any extra this isn't too bad. The good thing is if you start now, by the time you finish the second module it'll be near September and you'll be able to start your final one for the Diploma. The NCRQ certificates will give you Tech membership Plus your experiance and the Diploma will take you to Grad/Chartered with Experiance and CPD etc
Thanks gerrysharpe, I've signed up today for the full diploma. Looking forward to getting started. Hopefully I'll be able to get my teeth stuck into it, although 2 jobs and 2 young children might slow things down a little!!!
gerrysharpe  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2016 17:13:40(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Its Fun, its a new way of learning, it makes use of your existing skills and experience. I was pretty impressed with the fist 2 modules and now i'm waiting for the diploma. With more and more jobs asking for Nebosh or NCRQ its nice to see its getting the recognition it deserves.
bigpub  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2016 11:04:49(UTC)
bigpub

Thanks for all the replies. the reason i asked is because im struggling to get over the 45% threshold of the Nebosh. Im close but not close enough. If you answer the nebosh question correctly but don't use the 'Key Words', they mark it wrong. So for example. Q. Outine the responsilitities of a compnay director with regards to H&S. If you answer, 'to control activities within the company and ensure people are competent' etc. etc. They will mark it wrong nless you put words like, 'Ensure employees have relevant knowledge and skills. Its frustrating for students. To answer it correctly but use different wording.
Ian Bell2  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2016 11:24:52(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Nice to see NEBOSH haven't changed that ridiculous pedantic exam style.
Rmulcaster  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2017 11:12:17(UTC)
Rmulcaster

Hello everyone - can i ask a similar question, but as it is now September 17, a year later, i'm interested to see what the last 12 months have been like in people's experience.

I need to do the Diploma, my employer is funding it.  I have 17 years event safety experience in many & various roles inc general management, and now working as safety consultant to the events industry with some non events industrial automotive work.  I have Nebosh GC & NVQ4 Spectator Safety Management.  Reason I mention all of this is because i am trying to work out what is best for my personal development moving forward.  Clear benefits to both Nebosh and NCRQ for different reasons.  

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on where the current market is at with NCRQ vs Nebosh?  

Or perhaps anyone got any thought or opinion on which one could be best with my current quals?  (i have a degree from years ago, and not afraid of academic work, but do have a full & busy work & family life!)

All answers gratefully received.

Regards,

Edited by user 14 September 2017 11:13:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rickstefanetti84  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2017 12:51:33(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

I'm half way through the NCRQ diploma and really enjoying it. I completed the NEBOSH NGC and really disliked the way the exam questions had to be answered in a specific way, rather than you own words. Cant praise the NCRQ tutors enough and the workbooks are great. Im personally finding unit 2 more challenging as this focuses on civil law quite a lot which is something fairly new to me, but enjoyed unit 1 and im looking forward to starting unit 2 once ive succesfuly completed unit 2.

Highly reccomended!

George_Young  
#14 Posted : 14 September 2017 13:31:33(UTC)
George_Young

I Completed the NCRQ Diploma back in January and I much preferred this style of learning, I have also done NEBOSH GC, Fire & Environmental Certs so have experience of both learning styles.

I feel I took the information in more through the use of doing research just like the real world, Unit 2 was an eye opener but really did enjoy it. Plus it only takes 2 weeks to get results back instead of 10 weeks :)

thunderchild  
#15 Posted : 14 September 2017 14:12:10(UTC)
thunderchild

I'm considering this as I am really struggling with the diploma. I hate all their action verbs and I'm not sure what else to do with the dang report! I am sticking with it for the time being as I have 18 months left and I didn't pay to start with (2 employers ago) but if I do run out of time this seems the viable option for me!

Rmulcaster  
#16 Posted : 14 September 2017 22:30:36(UTC)
Rmulcaster

Hi everyone, 

thanks for your replies.  I must say, I was starting to feel that NCRQ might just be the way forward for me, and then i see all the replies telling me I am correct - thank you.  

Now that this NCRQ (third way so to speak) has been IOSH accredited for nearly 2 years, i was really interested to see where people are at with it now that the initial mele and pathfinders are through it.  I half wondered if there were people who were struggling to justify the new qual to prospective empployers in interview... If there is anyone out there that feels strongly about the need to do the Nebosh over NCRQ, then please do say, otherwise it looks like I'll going for the NCRQ.

Thanks for your comments once again.

George_Young  
#17 Posted : 15 September 2017 09:00:21(UTC)
George_Young

I had a job interview for the NHS a few months back who states NEBOSH Diploma or eqivelant. Their asked about the NCRQ as it was not heard of by the people carrying out the interview.

Once I explained the qualification and how it was laid out the interviewers where impressed. I think must employers will be once it becomes more known

Originally Posted by: Rmulcaster Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone, 

thanks for your replies.  I must say, I was starting to feel that NCRQ might just be the way forward for me, and then i see all the replies telling me I am correct - thank you.  

Now that this NCRQ (third way so to speak) has been IOSH accredited for nearly 2 years, i was really interested to see where people are at with it now that the initial mele and pathfinders are through it.  I half wondered if there were people who were struggling to justify the new qual to prospective empployers in interview... If there is anyone out there that feels strongly about the need to do the Nebosh over NCRQ, then please do say, otherwise it looks like I'll going for the NCRQ.

Thanks for your comments once again.

Rmulcaster  
#18 Posted : 22 September 2017 09:38:21(UTC)
Rmulcaster

George_Young : - Thank you for your reply, thats exactly the sort of response I was looking to see if it was out there. I am sure that this is the sort of response that will grow and develop as more employers understand the "applied" nature of this qualification.

Thanks everyone for your input.

wbrown1984  
#19 Posted : 09 October 2017 19:22:16(UTC)
wbrown1984

Hello folks, I am on the second book of my NCRQ and really enjoying it so far. I have my IOSH and NEBOSH and thought I would go down the NCRQ path to compare it with the NEBOSH, and for me the NCRQ is a better route to go down, purely becsuse I can fit it around my social/family life, yet I found the NEBOSH to be crammed in to such a short space of time, which meant that I needed to revise over weekends too and also then complete x2 back to back two hour exams on the final day which oversll was so much to take in Good luck going forward if you choose to do the NCRQ.
SNS  
#20 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:15:48(UTC)
SNS

Previously mentioned eleswhere, don't forget to check for military / ex mil discount