Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
colley007  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2016 19:21:22(UTC)
colley007

Can any one tell me if the credits i have gained doing my nebosh general certificate and fire certificate can be used towards the credits for the NVQ level 5 Health and Safety qualifications. Also will this qualification get me into the Health and Safety industry at a good level as at the moment h+s is just a small part of my job role.
Azza  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2016 08:22:40(UTC)
Azza

My understanding is that NEBOSH credits cant be used for the NVQ. I did the NVQ L5 after my NEBOSH and there was no overlap.
mark frearson  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2016 16:24:14(UTC)
mark frearson

Same for me - NVQ was start from scratch
linda xc  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2016 17:09:46(UTC)
linda xc

ah but if your NEBOSH was taken in the last 2 years, then in theory your assessor could use them to cover your knowledge evidence...
WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2016 09:39:54(UTC)
WatsonD

Now this is where I am confused. As a an NVQ assessor in a past life (not H&S), it is my understanding that in order to be eligible to undertake the NVQ you need to be currently doing the qualification related job and at the correct level. In which case how can you undertake the NVQ level 5 in order to get in to the H&S industry? Surely the level 5 requires a great deal of knowledge and experience? Sorry colley007 (licence to kill?) I know you may not know the answer, but surely there are those on here who do, who may be able to explain
jwk  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2016 10:50:47(UTC)
jwk

Hi Watson, Note that colley007 says 'into the Health and Safety industry at a good level'. If H&S is a part of your job and you can see how it could be interesting and rewarding to do more of it, then the 'small part' can certainly be used to get an NVQ5, John
thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
colley007 on 08/10/2016(UTC)
WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2016 11:45:07(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks jwk, I used to assess NVQs in construction at levels 2 and 3. For level 2 they would have to be either on an apprenticeship (i.e. undertaking current training) or have a minimum of 5 years experience and be working in the trade they were to be assessed in. For level 3 they could achieve this only if their work involved supervisory level work e.g. charge-hand, foreman, etc. I guess the 'small part' could be management level work, but the range doesn't seem to be enough to gain evidence. I may be looking at this wrong, and this NVQ may demand different criteria, but I would think that doing an NVQ L5 in H&S would be difficult under these circumstances.
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 02 September 2016 13:18:56(UTC)
peter gotch

CV - includes qualifications and memberships Calling cards - qualifications, no memberships but give out calling cards extremely rarely email - job title, no quals or memberships
pm1965  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2016 15:59:37(UTC)
pm1965

I have recently completed the NVQ L5 and in my opinion you certainly need to be experienced and competent at that level to produce the evidence required. There is also 10 assignments to complete which should demonstrate past achievements and actual experience, not theoretical responses.
rs10  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2016 11:05:36(UTC)
rs10

Well done pm1965 I too have just completed my NVQ5 with OCR just awaiting for the certificate - I have been down the NEBOSH Dip route before and will say I found the NVQ5 quite a task! Are you aware of the new NVQ5 coming out soon? apparently you can APL this current NVQ towards it - and complete some 'top up' modules. I guess in theory you would gain 2 NVQ5s in OHS?
cornwall74  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2016 11:41:30(UTC)
cornwall74

I believe they are up scaling the NVQ5 to a NVQ6... Unsure when this is happening, although I have previously heard it will be this month. I would expect if you completed the NVQ5 rather recently, you will just have to complete the top up modules.
pip306  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2016 12:38:15(UTC)
pip306

I am doing my NVQ Level 5 at the moment and it is way more work than I anticipated and in my opinion you definitely can't undertake it if you are not doing the job as your main job as it requires lots of evidence examples knowledge etc. to complete. I think there is a wide variety of people offering it and a large difference in what seems to pass as a module and what does't which is quite annoying. Interested i the new one coming out and a top up though.
IG Phillips  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2016 14:44:03(UTC)
IG Phillips

Some interesting comments here; I have recently completed the NVQ 5 and can certainly echo the requirement to be working in an H&S environment where you can access and give evidence of your involvement and competency of managing H&S. The NVQ 5 I also found gives opportunity to develop new skills and also refresh some methodologies and ideas about how to manage H&S on a local level.
perran  
#14 Posted : 14 September 2016 15:36:19(UTC)
perran

cornwall74 wrote:
I believe they are up scaling the NVQ5 to a NVQ6... Unsure when this is happening, although I have previously heard it will be this month. I would expect if you completed the NVQ5 rather recently, you will just have to complete the top up modules.
New qualification title with city and guilds and believe it is still a level 5 but with extra modules towards going down the Grad-IOSH route. Replacement qualification (3654-06 Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice in September 2016.)
simon73  
#15 Posted : 16 September 2016 13:50:55(UTC)
simon73

perran wrote:
cornwall74 wrote:
New qualification title with city and guilds and believe it is still a level 5 but with extra modules towards going down the Grad-IOSH route. Replacement qualification (3654-06 Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice in September 2016.)
After conversations with IOSH who were adamant that it was Level 6 and City and Guilds who were adamant that it was level 5, the confusion seems to have arisen because the new qualification code is prefixed 3654- '06'.
cornwall74  
#16 Posted : 28 September 2016 11:31:23(UTC)
cornwall74

Apologies if I am miss-reading this then... Is it a level 6 qualification, and what is the new title?
TudorWilliams  
#17 Posted : 31 October 2016 12:00:20(UTC)
TudorWilliams

Hi all missed this thread when it started. The new city and guilds qualification due out sometime next year will still be at level 5. It will have 'choice' and an additional unit to gain grad IOSH. Note: IOSH will withdraw automatic Grad IOSH from the current scheme I believe when the new one is available and with ragrd to the new level 5 it won't be automatic as now it will be a new / additional unit. My belief is that C and G are the only provider of NVQ 5 where IOSH accept he qualification toward the Grad IOSH. I am really concerned that there is under provision in this area and a lack of clarity, it is a 5 not a 6! 

michaelc  
#18 Posted : 01 November 2016 00:34:03(UTC)
michaelc

Hi straight answer is you need to be in a suitable role to complete the NVQ level 5 and as my friend is an EDA and also an assessor who advises me at the present time there is no intetion to change the NVQ 5 which only recently was changed to include a further module if you want to progress to Grad IOSH then to CMIOSH status via open book exam and peer review.