Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vox  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2016 11:57:42(UTC)
vox

Hello

I am working in the role of Warehouse Safety Assistant, for a local charity organization in the Merseyside / Cheshire area.

My role involves developing & carrying out risk assessments, weekly & quarterly safety inspections of shops & distribution centre & PAT testing of electrical appliances. I am currently working part time. 

I am Nebosh general certificate holder & my previous experience is in the petro chem industry.

I am looking to gain an insight & increase my knowledge & awareness of safety practices particularly in Fire Risk Assessment. I would like to gain experience & an insight in to Fire Risk Assessment & eventually secure a position either on a part time or self employed basis carrying out RA's & Fire RA’s.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Vox

rickstefanetti84  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2016 14:25:20(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

Hi Vox.

The FPA offer some good courses in fire risk assessment. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.thefpa.co.uk/index.cfm?_tkn=1BC6EB7B%2DAC4C%2D40C1%2DA8C010ACB96BC55A

thanks 1 user thanked rickstefanetti84 for this useful post.
vox on 29/12/2016(UTC)
stuart46  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2016 14:59:47(UTC)
stuart46

Hi Vox,

I have recently completed a fire risk assessment course with the FPA and would certainly recommend them.

thanks 1 user thanked stuart46 for this useful post.
vox on 29/12/2016(UTC)
kmason83  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2017 11:51:35(UTC)
kmason83

If you are working for a charity you could try other local charity organisations who will have someone completing fire RA's either that or ask the safety officers at any local Collages or Universitys I'm sure they would be happy to let you tag along on one of their fire RA's. 

Drop a few emails and ask the question worst they can do is say no :) 

If you are looking for courses I would reccomend Nebosh fire cert as a starter especially since you have general cert (if you gained it within the last 5 years you don't have to resit NGC1) it covers the ins and outs of the RRFSO quite well.

Good luck! 

jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2017 14:52:03(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I agree with regard to NEBOSH Fire Cert- its a very interesting course, and the practical element is always useful.

Are you involved within fire safety in your workplace?

10MARK  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2017 13:37:28(UTC)
10MARK

I hold both the Nebosh Fire Cert and the FPA Risk Assessment Cert. I have carried out many FRAs and now regularly carry out the reviews. If you are more on the management side I would recommend the Nebosh which covers  much more legislation and a wide ange of fire scenerios , explosions, bleves etc.If you are more interested in the nuts and bolts of actually carrying out an FRA the FPA is a more practical option with the course concenstrating more on this aspect . Both will help

thanks 1 user thanked 10MARK for this useful post.
chris42 on 04/01/2017(UTC)
markwmansell  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2017 15:30:19(UTC)
markwmansell

Rather than paying for training or at lest at first - read the below guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422195/9294_Small_Mediumt_v2.pdf

I'm sure a competent person would be happy to review (and visit area in question) after you have completed the draft fire risk assessment as it is for charity. If you are local I'm happy to review. If you do want to do the training I always use the BSC - https://www.britsafe.org/training/qualification-courses/level-2-award-fire-risk-assessment.

Edited by user 04 January 2017 15:31:38(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

10MARK  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2017 10:35:59(UTC)
10MARK

Originally Posted by: markwmansell Go to Quoted Post

Rather than paying for training or at lest at first - read the below guide.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422195/9294_Small_Mediumt_v2.pdf

I'm sure a competent person would be happy to review (and visit area in question) after you have completed the draft fire risk assessment as it is for charity. If you are local I'm happy to review. If you do want to do the training I always use the BSC - https://www.britsafe.org/training/qualification-courses/level-2-award-fire-risk-assessment.

Hi Mark 

The Nebosh Fire Element  is 4.5 days if you already hold the NGC1  , the FPA is 5 days , the next FPA which is more advanced is another 3 days.

I have studied Fire in my Nebosh General , Fire and Environmental certs , the 3 day FPA cert  and my Nebosh Diploma and still feel I am learning in this field. I am not suggesting for a minute  you need all the above to be a competent assessor but I am not sure this course is anything more than an introduction .