Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Miller - Kuwait  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2017 10:48:04(UTC)
David Miller - Kuwait

Good Afternoon fellow H&S professionals.

I find myself in an unusual position compared to most where all my H&S experience has been over here in the Middle East (Kuwait) on a US Army contract and I have none from the UK.  Whereas most people's experience is the other way round.

I am looking to return to the UK sometime in April/May and will require to be in Full Time employment in order to meet the Financial Requirement for bringing my wife with me to the UK (she's Indonesian).

How is the job market in the UK? and will my experience here count for anything when I come back to blighty?

My background is Logisitcs/Warehousing but with exposure to Vehicle Maintenance, Vehicle Painting etc

I am well prepared for the significant drop in salary and my aim is to join a good company as a Health And Safety Advisor/Officer/Junior Manager with a good H&S manager to mentor me and push me through from GradIOSH to CMIOSH after I pass my Diploma.

Any advice or direction I can get will help me as I prepare to come back to the real world.

davidhwatkins  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2017 11:23:54(UTC)
davidhwatkins

Hi David. I had a similar issue when I decided to return to the real world too. My background was large events all around the world but mostly in the UK. The industry was pretty unique including the challenges and the culture. I literally put out hundreds of CV's detailing my experience and qualifications (I was a member of IOSH but had not really been that evolved) Most jobs I went for were low level as I understood that my experience in the 'real world' was limited. For ages I didn't get a reply and although I was suitably qualified I could not even get past the recruiters and speak to a real person in a real company. When I eventually did, the Head of Operations who interviewed me looked past the fact that I had little or no experience in property and saw that the skills I had gained were directly transferable to his business. He realised that like other sectors, this type of business could be learned quite quickly given my commitment. I am now 18 months into my new role and love it. It also surpasses the minimum earning level you would need to allow you to bring your wife with you. Anyway my advice would be to persevere, I would try and meet the recruiters on a one to one basis but also don't be afraid to go straight for the company’s you are interested in working at. 

thanks 1 user thanked davidhwatkins for this useful post.
David Miller - Kuwait on 15/02/2017(UTC)
David Miller - Kuwait  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2017 04:47:14(UTC)
David Miller - Kuwait

Cheers for your input David, I am slowly working on my resume and making it more recruiter friendly so I can get back. 

My only problem is with being abroad still i think some people may find it difficult to take me on due to not being able to meet me and the thought of doing a skype or video interview may not be an option for them.

I will hopefully land on my feet when i come back, and im not looking for the best job in the world, just something that will ease me back in to the UK way of life but also not leave me scrimping and saving to pay the bills.

Originally Posted by: davidhwatkins Go to Quoted Post

Hi David. I had a similar issue when I decided to return to the real world too. My background was large events all around the world but mostly in the UK. The industry was pretty unique including the challenges and the culture. I literally put out hundreds of CV's detailing my experience and qualifications (I was a member of IOSH but had not really been that evolved) Most jobs I went for were low level as I understood that my experience in the 'real world' was limited. For ages I didn't get a reply and although I was suitably qualified I could not even get past the recruiters and speak to a real person in a real company. When I eventually did, the Head of Operations who interviewed me looked past the fact that I had little or no experience in property and saw that the skills I had gained were directly transferable to his business. He realised that like other sectors, this type of business could be learned quite quickly given my commitment. I am now 18 months into my new role and love it. It also surpasses the minimum earning level you would need to allow you to bring your wife with you. Anyway my advice would be to persevere, I would try and meet the recruiters on a one to one basis but also don't be afraid to go straight for the company’s you are interested in working at.