Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattOCon  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2017 21:15:39(UTC)
MattOCon

Good evening all,

Im quite new to the IOSH community and was wondering if anyone could explain all the different possible routes to gaining Grad IOSH status. I apologise if this comes up time and time again but I have searched the forum with no luck. 

Am I right by saying that you can only gain Grad IOSH status through completing the NEBOSH diploma or NVQ level 5 in Health and Safety?

If there are more options, what are they and what are everyones experiences with their chosen option?

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

gerrysharpe  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2017 21:35:10(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi Matt

If you look at this link http://www.iosh.co.uk/Membership/About-membership/Qualifications.aspx it will show you all the courses approved so that you will finally achieve Grad IOSH membership.

You could also look at the NCRQ Diploma which is the new kid on the block which gives you the same Level 6 Diploma like the Nebosh Diploma

You will need to maintain your CPD and have an expected amount of experiance in Health and safety

Good luck

thanks 1 user thanked gerrysharpe for this useful post.
MattOCon on 18/02/2017(UTC)
MattOCon  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2017 22:19:31(UTC)
MattOCon

Hi Gary

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I stumbled across this too for anyone else who might be asking the same question which I found useful https://www.ioshmagazine.com/article/step .

Matt

Striker84  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2017 23:35:04(UTC)
Striker84

Hi Matt, As Gerry mentioned the NCRQ is another route that whilst it is an extremely controversial subject to those that studied the NEBOSH diploma, seems to be getting great reviews from a lot of people. I believe that you would initially gain Grad IOSH with either qualification and with a maintained record of CPD etc a review would take place for CMIOSM Regards.
JayPownall  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2017 09:39:26(UTC)
JayPownall

Worth also mentioning that a degree in OSH, or aligned subject can also be a route to Grad IOSH, without having to complete NEBOSH etc.
MattOCon  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2017 21:35:53(UTC)
MattOCon

Thanks for all your responses. 

Gary - Ive also been seeing good things online since looking into it, Is there much difference between the NCRQ and the NVQ from what you know?

I must admit I think I would struggle to get the diploma done, I just dont think I could commit with work/life commitments as it stands, im also not the best when it comes to exams! I think the NVQ would suit my learning style a lot better.

gerrysharpe  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2017 05:23:34(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Originally Posted by: MattOCon Go to Quoted Post

Is there much difference between the NCRQ and the NVQ from what you know?

Matt take a peek here, The NCRQ is a diffrent way of learning that may suit some people better than the NVQ.  The main thing with the NVQ is you already need to be working in H&S and have enough experiance to write up a portfolio.

https://www.ncrq.org.uk/nebosh-alternative.php

Edited by user 22 February 2017 05:24:42(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot to add link

RobFitzmaurice  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2017 16:00:49(UTC)
RobFitzmaurice

I'm considering taking the NCRQ Diploma myself, simply because it's more flexible compared to the NEBOSH Dip.

Past experience of NVQs has been mixed: Fulfilling the modules has been very time consuming on occasions due to difficulties in being able to produce suitable evidence (you have to rely on suitable "work" coming in at the right time) and NVQ assessors being unavailable when I've needed them to be on hand to undertake assessments. I'm not saying that this will always be the case, but I found it a long, drawn out process.

lorna  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2017 12:13:00(UTC)
lorna

Originally Posted by: JayPownall Go to Quoted Post
Worth also mentioning that a degree in OSH, or aligned subject can also be a route to Grad IOSH, without having to complete NEBOSH etc.

That was my route in....degree in Environmental Health plus a covering letter /sheet explaining my role, experience, additional qualifications. It was quite a few years ago but the Membership Team were very helpful.