Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robert Saile  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2017 10:55:05(UTC)
Robert Saile

I am studying for my Nebosh National Gen Cert in Occ H&S and am planning to move to Spain in the next few years so was wondering if anyone knew if this qualification would be recognised in Spain to allow me to either be employed or carry out consultancy work?

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2017 12:01:08(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I know noorthing, Ca? He's from Barcelona. Sorry couldn't resist.
thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
walker on 06/03/2017(UTC)
HSE Chris Wright  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2017 15:55:39(UTC)
HSE Chris Wright

The qualification is recognized, the problem you'll have is that Safety is not really an important or widely available position in Spain. I think it actually has the lowest rate of hired safety personnel in Europe.

gerrysharpe  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2017 17:46:19(UTC)
gerrysharpe

I would agree with Chris, The Spanish seem to have a slack attitude when it comes to Health and safety.

and you could read this http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/1996/crr96084-ch4.pdf

Hally  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2017 11:19:51(UTC)
Hally

Very hit and miss, from a re-construction with proper secure fencing around to a hole in the path with a ped barrier across the middle doing nothing more that showing a hole but not stopping people falling in. If there was the opportunity i'd be there tomorrow getting my Spanish improved, as well as a job.
RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2017 11:34:50(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: gerrysharpe Go to Quoted Post

I would agree with Chris, The Spanish seem to have a slack attitude when it comes to Health and safety.

and you could read this http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/1996/crr96084-ch4.pdf

Gerry, the report is very old and I suspect things have moved on quite a bit since then.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 28/02/2017(UTC)
gerrysharpe  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2017 12:07:28(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gerrysharpe Go to Quoted Post

Gerry, the report is very old and I suspect things have moved on quite a bit since then.

I thought that, but the gist of the set up is there no doubt the EU would have it all changed by now. 

peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2017 17:15:11(UTC)
peter gotch

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/european/index.htm

is very misleading as the UK is one of the only developed nations that doesn't count work-related road traffic accidents in its stats.

So if you take these into account, then I guess our performance isn't that much better than Spain.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 01/03/2017(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2017 15:56:37(UTC)
MikeKelly

I'd agree with Peter also but even the road fatalities pale into a degree of insignificance when you consider the deaths from disease and other health issues which are currently somewhere between 12000-24000/yr and of course with Mesothelioma at 2500/yr and 1.3 milllion suffering from work related illness/yr we are not that brilliant at all.

Regards

Mike 

maiuk  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2017 16:34:31(UTC)
maiuk

I am sorry but I agree the opinion of the rest. It is a fact. I used to work in Health and Safety in Spain and upon oneĀ“s a time in which it was possible find very good roles in Health and Safety

RayRapp  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2017 09:17:38(UTC)
RayRapp

Ola, I hope to live in Spain in the not too distant future. I will not be seeking employment in health and safety because I will be retired. I will be checking out the bars, golf courses, swimming pools... :)