Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
will hampson  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2017 09:18:31(UTC)
will hampson

Hello all after some of your wisdom/advice

Got a new H&S admin job for a small company on an industrial estate to get much needed experience.

Already have the NCRQ  certificate part 1 Nebosh unit 3 ,iosh man safety,PTLLS etc.

wondering is it worth just building up experience in the role and put studying on hold or asking for part time to get  the full NCRQ dip done on days off by signing up to NCRQ unit 2 cert.

role was part time H&S admin but agreed to do full time in helping with other admin etc not H&S related so question is would it be worth while going part time to get most of NCRQ done while gaining the work experience .

job is a temp role agency work umbrella paye with possibility company will take on after the 12 weeks or renew agency contract, not had the best experance with agencys to be honest 1 day notice etc.

its min wage but dont mind  hopefully will be worth it for experience as i have struggled to even  get voluntary work experience and apparently according to some agency's i am to old for apprentice work.

reason i ask is i been out of work for a while now so dont want to get to end of current role and do the whole job searching again with job center messing me about.

i was finding it hard to get a role with out H&S experience i was applying to about 30 jobs a day. and at the time the local jobcentres best advice is to not apply to any H&S roles and dumb down my cv  take off quals and apply for bartender,sales, warehouse jobs and do a 2 week job center course how to act in interviews etc and how to apply for jobs otherwise they sanction you i told them to do it thankfully i got this job the next week.

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2017 09:32:06(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi Will,

I don't know what your situation is, but if you are really serious about this (and you can) then I would advise keeping the full time job and studying in your spare time. That is how I did it.

It might seem like a lot but will only be for a finite period and it will save you sacrificing either one for the other. If you want to compete for jobs, you will need both.

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
will hampson on 14/03/2017(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 14/03/2017(UTC)
Clark34486  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2017 10:31:53(UTC)
Clark34486

Will

We often get an awful lot of 'can't get into the sector' type posts on here, you're doing exactly what should be done to gather experience whilst working full time.

More power to you and congratulations

thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
will hampson on 14/03/2017(UTC)
hannahbilson  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2017 10:56:20(UTC)
hannahbilson

Well, i will give you advice that you should continue your job and must further studies so that you would not bound on one thing. I believe that more and more education make a human more perfect and compelete. I am also doing a full time job and also i am studying Msc in commerce and i will study further more.

thanks 1 user thanked hannahbilson for this useful post.
fhunter  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2017 12:45:26(UTC)
fhunter

Just to add a +1, experience is the key. Any work relating to H&S is better than no work. Studying alonside a jobis difficult, however is only temporary, it will pay of ten fold later into your career

thanks 1 user thanked fhunter for this useful post.
will hampson  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2017 14:29:14(UTC)
will hampson

Many thanks every one for advice  to be honest i could not be leave that many  company's,charitys etc ignored emails  when offering to volunteer time free helping with risk assessments etc.

some times felt like Percival searching for the holy grail. but hopefully as  Fhunter said  Any work relating to H&S is better than no work so should find job searching better in future with  any luck.

fhunter  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2017 14:58:41(UTC)
fhunter

Another thing to do which is worth while is have a look at some job adverts online for roles you want to be doing in a few years time, very often they will have a recruiters name and number on the bottom. Give them a call and explain your situation, sometimes they hear of jobs from their Clients who would not list them with the recruiters because of cost. Also as you are doing something unusual by calling them and asking for advice, they may well fish around and see if there are any trainee positions available. 

Not a guarentee but it's a lot better than trying to deal with the job centre. 

biker1  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2017 09:31:07(UTC)
biker1

During a period out of work a few years ago, I found the job centre staff well meaning but ultimately useless. You can sign up for several agencies, but have a look at how many jobs they routinely advertise, which will give you an idea of how likely it is that you are going to find one to go for. Some typically only have a handful of jobs, and it becomes a simple numbers game as to where to focus your efforts.

will hampson  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2017 10:21:22(UTC)
will hampson

not saying all job center staff are same

my normal adviser was fair and even said to me we can tell the people who want to work from those that dont but you will have to do same courses etc as them as its standard rules

example being a 2 week job skills course teaching level 1 IT and maths etc even thou i had the higher level of both.

i think the problem is they are under pressure from ther boss/government to get people 

off benefits anyway possible.

i get that ther is a lot of people who dont want to work 

but ther is also a lot of people that do and find it hard getting a role.

the part that irritated me was i spent about £5000 on qualifications mainly H&S to better career and put my time in etc.

for one of the other staff advisers who i had to see 1 week 

say to me you wont get a warehouse job or sales jobs with them qualifications 

so you will have to remove them from cv 

which i then refused 

they then say your not making yourself employable so will be sanctioned.

lorna  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2017 12:21:51(UTC)
lorna

I had similar issues with the Job Centre about 5 years ago - I had the added problem that a lot of prospective employers were scared off by my enforcement background. In my opinion, they weren't geared up to deal with professionals - the 3 lines for GCSE equivalent ended up with Maths / English / 8 others and they marked me down as not having Level 1 in Maths & English despite being a postgrad...The only suggestion they had was to go self-employed - luckily I was sufiiciently established to get enough work by word of mouth to cover the bills.

I've had jobs through agencies & been messed about by them more times than I care to remember. I'm now back in full time employment - which I found by chance. I just put 'safety jobs in manchester' & amongst all the security & door supervisor jobs, this little gem was waiting...

Edited by user 15 March 2017 12:22:37(UTC)  | Reason: typo