Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Campbell  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2017 14:06:05(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Hi Folks, I have just applied for a new job in NI and am looking some advice.

Firstly, any advice for a very in-experienced job interviewee as I have only ever had a couple in my working life, especially those for energy companies.

Secondly, any members currently working for energy companies especialy Natural Gas Suppliers, have you any specific advice to what to expect from an interview with such a company?  Obviously I'm going to do alot of reading up on current legislations regarding this industry!!

Any advice at all would be very very apreciated.

Brian 

Matt34  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2017 11:53:36(UTC)
Matt34

No expeirence of the industries you are looking for but from recent experience of interviews....

Have examples to mind, if they ask How would you deal with a difficult situation answer with an example of something you have done.

If this isn't possible think how you would approach it.

thanks 1 user thanked Matt34 for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 21/03/2017(UTC)
Mr Curious  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2017 09:41:39(UTC)
Mr Curious

In well structured interviews these days they follow the STAR approach. Situation, task, action, result. So when they ask something like: please provide an x,y,z example when you applied a,b,c, skills, then you should provide one from previous experience that highlights these skills describing the situation , task, what actions were taken and what was the result (leaving a positive remark at the end). 

There are plenty of examples out there in Google. They are also called competency based interview questions so that's another way to do some reasearch in Google. 

E.g. competency based questions for <role>, or energy companies, which will probably highlight skills that are sought by such companies or roles.

Work on them and good luck :)

thanks 1 user thanked Mr Curious for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 21/03/2017(UTC)