Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Samantha McElhill  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2017 13:11:40(UTC)
Samantha McElhill

Hi All,

Im keen to hear from anyone who has studied for their NEBOSH General Certificate, I am just about to undertake week 1 of my studies and I'm a little anxious about what to expect! I've only been within the wonderful world of H&S for 4 months, having decided to have a career change (absolutely loving it so far)

If anyone has any pointers, suggestions or any other advice that might help me along the way I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks

Samantha

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2017 13:40:57(UTC)
WatsonD

All I would say to you is to try and enjoy it. The exams are challenging, but they can be dealt with later. For now just go there and take it all in. If your interested in a subject then you will learn as your brain will be stimulated by this.

However, you will find some parts less intreresting than others and the bad news is they will be the parts you will need to revise more as your brain will struggle to absorb details when it is not as interested.

Other than that get a good text book. I used this one (aldeit an earlier revision): https://www.amazon.co.uk...lth+%26+safety+ed+ferret

Good Luck!

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Samantha McElhill on 20/04/2017(UTC), garyclarke84 on 26/04/2017(UTC)
PeterP  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2017 09:27:24(UTC)
PeterP

Hi Samantha,

I have sent you a PM with my contact details as I have some information I can send you.

thanks 1 user thanked PeterP for this useful post.
Samantha McElhill on 20/04/2017(UTC)
Malc 61  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2017 12:24:27(UTC)
Malc 61

Two things:

Learn the meanings of the guidance words (identify, give describe, etc) and the level of detail they indicate for your exam answers.

Get some old exam papers and practice doing the questions

Otherwise enjoy the course, it's hard work but ultimately very useful and rewarding.

thanks 1 user thanked Malc 61 for this useful post.
Samantha McElhill on 21/04/2017(UTC)
hilary  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2017 12:51:44(UTC)
hilary

It's a hard course.  I did mine 20 years ago so it's somewhat in the dim and distant past but my colleague just did his last year and he was surprised at the depth of information on the course.  Remember, this is a Level 3 Certificate course which is equivalent to A level study so be prepared to work hard.

Having said that, it is an invaluable qualification to have and puts you on the ladder for further studies going forward.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
andrewcl  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2017 15:06:22(UTC)
andrewcl

It may be an idea to try a questionnaire that helps you establish your learning preference.  Do you learn by reading, listening or doing?

I found when I was doing the NGC, I found my own mnemonics for remembering the lists of things as well (MISS ME for Section 2.2 employer duties; Maintenance, Information, Safe Systems, Materials, Environment) - you will find there are revision notes available from a number of sources possibly with mnemonics in them; your own will mean more to you.

Previous exam papers are also a must as mentioned. They do introduce new questions every year so having a feel for the materials is important, but it will certainly give you a head start.

Acquire email addresses of the people who are on the course with you, so you can ask each other questions.

Definitely make time to revise!

thanks 1 user thanked andrewcl for this useful post.
martynp1000  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2017 18:12:08(UTC)
martynp1000

Develop your exam technique at an early stage :-

• read the question, then read it again before starting to answer
  • time management is crucial, pace yourself and stick to timings - you can lose 5 minutes thinking something through just to get 1 mark - spend that 5 minutes elsewhere
  • attempt all questions - any missed out are lost points
  • make it easy for the person marking your papers to actually find your answers - structure them, space them out on the page use headings or underlines etc
  • start each answer on a new page - it is really hard as a marker when candidates squeeze answers for up to 3 questions on a single page
  • make sure your writing is easy to read!!

Probably lots more but that will do for starters

Martyn

Edited by user 23 April 2017 18:13:42(UTC)  | Reason: typo edits

thanks 1 user thanked martynp1000 for this useful post.
Samantha McElhill on 23/05/2017(UTC)
hilary  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2017 08:09:27(UTC)
hilary

Also, when it comes to the exam, make sure you have a clear understanding of exam terminology and what each word is asking you for.

http://www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/studyskills/assessment_evaluation/assessment/glossary.html

This link from Manchester University sets out what you need to produce for each "type" of question, ie, discuss, examine, etc

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
Samantha McElhill on 23/05/2017(UTC)