Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnneMc  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2017 07:38:40(UTC)
AnneMc

We are currently struggling to find large enough meeting rooms in our building.  Is there any legislation I should be looking at or is it a matter of common sense providing a risk assessment has been done regarding safet evacuation?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2017 08:35:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

No legislation ( why would there be-The Organisation Of Meetings In Offices Act 1984 Section 12 “when to provide coffee and biscuits- referencing the right guaranteed by the Article 12 of the European Convention on Human Rights  on tea and coffee at work”!)

And yes it requires that common sense thing – a risk assessment based approach.

Questions to ask include:

1. What sort of meetings- a short bird table type meetings can be held in broom closet while and all-day doing “work streams” and “setting up  workshops”  requires more space.
  2. Breakout rooms or time-tabled meetings
  3. The sort of people- any people with mobility issues or visually impaired or hard of hearing.
  4. The culture of the place? - how informal are the chats or are they lectures or round table meetings.
  5. How much IT and Audio-visual gubbins in the rooms
  6.  How much space can the organisation afford to surrender
  7. Appetite for IT based solutions- so you stay at your desk to have the meeting. Not always good for you back etc. Getting an opportunity to move around even if it is to go to a meeting can be beneficial

There’s more but this will do for a start

Invictus  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2017 09:51:18(UTC)
Invictus

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422195/9294_Small_Mediumt_v2.pdf

You could use this, you could use a basic R/A, it all depends on what is meant by a small meeting, 2-4-6-8 to many to site down, how long is it for where is it being held etc. and the list goes on mobilty issues  and all that jazz.

SBH  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2017 09:25:50(UTC)
SBH

ADB suggests that 1cubic metre per person is the required space in these area

SBH

johnwatt  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2017 11:29:56(UTC)
johnwatt

Originally Posted by: SBH Go to Quoted Post

ADB suggests that 1cubic metre per person is the required space in these area

SBH

I think you mean meters squared. (m3) 

Also you need to take into account the environmenal conditions. When the heating, vetilaition and cooling system was designed it would likely have been specified for a certian number of people and equipment (all of which generate heat) in that space. If you exceed this number, the environmental conditions could become very unpleaseant. 

Edited by user 18 May 2017 11:30:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nic168  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2017 14:01:22(UTC)
nic168

anne, all the meeting rooms in my workplace have signs on indicating the maximum occupancy. Aparently these were done by several "competent persons ". There seems to be a lot of variation in the numbers allowed based on the layout and access points and the type of furniture in it., I have reviewed a couple and come up with some credible numbers and layouts.

I used a RA picked up on NEBOSH Fire certificate which works beutifully for this , I will dig it out and forward if you still need it next week. as I am not in office at moment.

Basically you are on the right track with access/egress if you need to evacuate as a guiding prinicple and keep furniture to a minimum- don't let meeting rooms become repositries for furniture! 

Nic