Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mairicgc  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2017 14:35:38(UTC)
mairicgc

I'm aiming to put together a plan to go for Chartered Membership.  I'm not sure on timescales and other factors and what exactly I should be thinking in terms of preparing for it.

I'm GradIOSH through the VQ route therefore it appears, the IPD doesn't apply to me. I'm just looking for some thoughts on a) how long I should give myself b) any tips anyone has on what I should focus on in these timescales and how to prepare for the Peer Review interview.

Other general advice would be appreciated.

Bigmac1  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2017 14:53:00(UTC)
Bigmac1

Mairicgc, only you know how much you have done and need to do. You have passed your NVQ so obviously have the evidence to show for it.

The CMIOSH route this way now only needs you to pass the online assessment and the set questions fron IOSH.

Enroll now if you think you are ready, pass your tests and go for the interview.

Shopland23872  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2017 07:49:15(UTC)
Shopland23872

On successful completion of your open assessment and CPD audit, you still have to pass your PRI, it is still possible to fail at the final interview stage (unlikely but possible)

UncleFester  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2017 09:04:58(UTC)
UncleFester

I understood that IPD applies to all GradIOSH members going for Chartered Status...

JayPownall  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2017 09:37:58(UTC)
JayPownall

Originally Posted by: UncleFester Go to Quoted Post

I understood that IPD applies to all GradIOSH members going for Chartered Status...

IPD does indeed apply to all GradIOSH members - there is no way of 'not doing it'. The OP may have confused the IPD with the SDP (Skills Development Portfolio), which is a means of assessment in IPD.

Anyone going for Chartership will need to do either the SDP or the Open Assessment (very rarely both), have a CPD Audit and then attend a PRI.

Jamie

freelance safety  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2017 12:40:49(UTC)
freelance safety

Jay is correct IPD is mandatory, also worth noting that many people who attend the PRI don’t always get through the process. I've sat many interviews at The Grange over many years as a panel member and chair and its definitely not a given that the chartership is given just for attendance.

Feel free to PM me if you need any assistance or further advice.

mark frearson  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2017 15:47:15(UTC)
mark frearson

It is not as easy as it sounds!! I suppose thats the whole point, it is a filter process to ensure only very competent persons transition to chartered status. I am a registered mentor, and was assisting a chap who failed his part B three times so cannot now become chartered without going through a rigorous reset process. To be honest when I was revieweing his answers I could tell he didn't quite get it, so the assements did their job. 

Edited by user 20 June 2017 15:48:23(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling