Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swebster  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2017 11:20:28(UTC)
swebster

Hi,

My (fairly!) new role is as a Health, Safety & Environmental Manager. I have all my relevant H&S qualifications and a PGDip in OHS&E (but it was a while ago) but I now have specific responsibility for environmental issues and feel I need some more knowledge in this area. As I will be practically managing environmental matters as part of my role,  I don't think the new IOSH course is suitable.

We have an in-house environmental team who have overall responsibility in the company as a whole but I have the daily responsibility for E as well as H&S in my own business unit. Any suggestions on a good course to do?

I would like a general overview of environmental issues and the management of them but don't feel I need a full blown diploma for example (and I suspect work wouldn't pay!!). I'm sure many of you have E as part of your roles, so any advice greatly appreciated. My company/BU is a subsidary of a large construction equipment manufacturer, but I am on the property and construction side and not anything to do with the manufacturing of the equipment. I did ask the environmental team, but they weren't really sure what type of training would be best for me. Thanks in anticipation!

UncleFester  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2017 12:53:49(UTC)
UncleFester

The IEMA website may be a good place to start https://www.iema.net/home/learn-home

You could look at taking the Foundation certificate as a good introduction. There's no requirement to join IEMA as there are providers offering the course without any condition to subscribe to IEMA.

thanks 1 user thanked UncleFester for this useful post.
swebster on 23/05/2017(UTC)