Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UcheOkoli  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2017 14:34:42(UTC)
UcheOkoli

Hi everyone,

I am writing from Newcastle upon Tyne (North East, England). I have lived and worked in this axis for the last 10 years and I LOVE this part of the UK... I have always had an interest in the H&S aspect of things and have volunteered for the past 5 years as a health and safety officer for a few local charity organisations.

More recently, I decided to go full steam ahead into the H&S sector and completed the IOSH Managing Safely course in 2013. Earlier this year, I also completed my NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety Health. Armed with these qualifications, my 6-year experience as a Health and Social Care trainer in the UK (Level 2 H&S course included), a couple of Masters degrees (from the UK and Malta), plus a massive desire to learn/work on the job I am yet to find that 'pot of gold at the end of the rainbow' - a professional job in H&S.

So, after securing my IOSH membership, I thought to send a 'shout out' to all the good people of IOSH who may spare the time to read this post : "Can Somebody Help me, Please? "

Ideally, I would love to remain in the Newcastle/Tyne and Wear/North East of England area but I am not averse to moving farther afield within the United Kingdom. Unfortunately I do not have a head for heights, so any jobs that will require ascending scaffolding, heavy duty equipment and the like will definitely have me running in the opposite direction! Seeing that I have worked extensively within the health and social care environment, openings in that sector (as well as in the education sector) would be fair game. I love to learn and I am quick at it, therefore I am quite keen and prepared to advance into other employment sectors with seasoned guidance...

There! That's my pitch done for today.

I do apologise if it's been somewhat long winded; but I thought to put my case out there in one fell swoop. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and I hope that somehow, one of your responses will lead to that long-awaited opportunity for me to get my foot into the doorway of the H&S profession. I look forward to reading your replies and answering any other question that you may have for me.

Do enjoy the rest of your week...

lorna  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2017 07:47:31(UTC)
lorna

As another professional who has worked mainly in social care (started in enforcement & have some FM experience too), my advice is don't even look at construction / heavy manufacturing - you're unlikely to get an interview with all the (better) competition out there. Ring a few general agencies (perhaps Hays Leeds office) & ask where they would suggest - please take their promises with a hefty pinch of salt!

Social care - not many openings, short of money but worth looking at some of the websites for the bigger names or try the NHS job site. 

As for me, I struggled in the North West so I 'm now in the Education sector - FE college & loving it!

UcheOkoli  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2017 14:13:50(UTC)
UcheOkoli

Hi Lorna,

Many thanks indeed. I hear you and I appreciate your taking the time to spare me some pointers... Thank you very much. I had not thought of ringing agencies (such as Hays). I will give it a good shot...