Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MaxPayne  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2017 12:47:04(UTC)
MaxPayne

I'm about to be interviewed for possibly the biggest job in my career which is the senior H&S management role in the organisation.

Would anyone have any great questions I may pose to the panel at the end of my interview please?

SBH  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2017 13:19:58(UTC)
SBH

Depending on the industry you are in and the incidents per annum why not ask them where they realistically would like to see the company in 12 months time in terms of incidents and lost time. Of course they will probably say zero tolerance / incidents, but you can respond with your knowledge of company statistics and offer realistic KPIs.

SBH

jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2017 14:39:28(UTC)
jodieclark1510

My last interview, I asked what was it about their roles that got them up in the morning

chris42  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2017 12:21:20(UTC)
chris42

Will I have your support

or

Will I have your support when I make improvements

Shopland23872  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2017 18:10:17(UTC)
Shopland23872

Will you give me written authority to do whatever needs to be done in my role to keep everyone safe and to keep you out of prison? Abit hard hitting but it will certainly go in your favour. (I have used that myself and it paid off)
Stuart Smiles  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2017 22:07:28(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

there are some really good ones in great answers to tough interview questions by martin john yate, currently 9th edition - get via amazon or download if not enough time for delivery. 

perhaps a start date, thanks for having me or when will i hear from you would be normal, however i'd go for memorable. possibly ask when you'd get to meet the team, and if you can have a tour of site with them to look round. always good to be seen to be with them and it also enables the people about to feel they have some say in the candidates, usually only offered/accepted to people in competition for the role too.  

what are your fears with health and safety and how can we work together to solve them? 

how will I get introduced into the new role in the organisation, to demonstrate mandate there is for change

Edited by user 12 July 2017 22:09:57(UTC)  | Reason: additional blurb

jwk  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2017 10:59:39(UTC)
jwk

It's useful to have something in mind I know but I have always asked something based on the specifics of the job and the interview. When I was interviewed for my current role I noted that there was a big emphasis on developing consistency of approach in the existing H&S team and helping them to improve their working relationships with other colleagues. My question on this was to ask, quite directly, what my soon-to-be team had been doing! I got the job, so it didn't put the panel off,

John

Hsquared14  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2017 09:38:42(UTC)
Hsquared14

I told my current employer that they were taking on a manager and that I wouldn't be go around tidying up after everyone but developing a strategic approach and expecting Team Leaders and Line Managers to take responsibility for implementation within their team.  I think I even said "I'm not their mum!"  What sparked that conversation was a question about the knowledge and commitment of the other managers so that might be a good one.

PS:  I do still feel like their mum sometimes but they are starting to get the message!!