Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gramsay  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2017 19:40:11(UTC)
gramsay

First Aid refresher today.

First Aiders have a duty under the Recording of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regs to write reports about everything they do, and report anything Dangerous to management. Who knew? Also they can be prosecuted if they don't.

Every day's a schoolday :D

boblewis  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:45:26(UTC)
boblewis

Time for a new training organisation????

thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
lorna on 20/09/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:52:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

and another round of excuses next time we have a recruitment push. Think this fall's in to the catch all "nothing more dangerous than an idiot with a little bit of knowledge and no understanding how to apply it" Did they mention the likely outcome under the current sentencing guidelines?
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2017 21:52:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

and another round of excuses next time we have a recruitment push. Think this fall's in to the catch all "nothing more dangerous than an idiot with a little bit of knowledge and no understanding how to apply it" Did they mention the likely outcome under the current sentencing guidelines?
Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2017 11:55:33(UTC)
Ron Hunter

First Aiders have no RIDDOR duty.

Every employee has a legal responsibility to bring to the attention of his employee anything within his knowledge/understanding which he considers to present a danger to others.

gramsay  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2017 12:08:27(UTC)
gramsay

I thought we knew all that, was just having a laugh about the mangled (and unnecessary, for a FA course) legal nonsense.
thanks 1 user thanked gramsay for this useful post.
watcher on 20/09/2017(UTC)
Safety Shadow  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2017 12:42:02(UTC)
Safety Shadow

Hi,

I am a certified First Aid Trainer and I can say that you have been miss informed. If there is an incident/accident within your workplace that requires first aid treatment then this must be logged in your accident book, this log of information does not necessary have to be done by the first aider (however it usually is as they have dealt with the situation).

Moving on…..if the accident/incident is reportable under RIDDOR then again this will usually be done by the companies H&S representative which may or may not be the first aider.

Hope this helps.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2017 13:16:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There is a myth put about that there is legal requirement under Health and Safety law to record all work place accidents and if you don’t you will be in trouble. There is a requirement under Social Security law that accidents be recorded but only so that if people make a claim for Statutory Sick pay based on a work place injury claim there is evidence that such a workplace injury took place.

RIDDOR is about REPORTING certain types of injury (most notably the 7 days plus injury) but it places this responsibility on the employer as you cannot expect a fire aider to appreciate the consequences of an injury. Their job is to treat the person and to decide if they need further medical attention, end of.

The original post was a meant to be funny (when I read first it I thought it amusing) but some people do not appreciate such dry humour. There  rubbish trainers in H&S who love to turn up and  lob in a couple of hand grenades ( “if you don’t do X you will all go to prison”, “The risk assessment must be done in triplicate every time the sun shines” etc) and you end up having to waste time parrying pointless questions. I once had an external fire safety trainer who based on his “years of experience” and a ten minute look around the site announce that he was going call his friends in the local fire service who were going to close the place down as we did not take a role call during fire evacuations. I explained to him that the site was managed by the Crown Fire Inspectorate who had just been around and looked at all of our fire precautions and they we perfectly happy with the fire warden sweep system we had established. He continued to whinge but the fire brigade never turned up and he never did any training for us again (nor in any other government building either)

watcher  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2017 13:19:04(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: Safety Shadow Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

I am a certified First Aid Trainer and I can say that you have been miss informed. If there is an incident/accident within your workplace that requires first aid treatment then this must be logged in your accident book, this log of information does not necessary have to be done by the first aider (however it usually is as they have dealt with the situation).

Moving on…..if the accident/incident is reportable under RIDDOR then again this will usually be done by the companies H&S representative which may or may not be the first aider.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure the OP was looking for help, rather pointing out the dangers of trainers giving out rubbish info,

I think we all know about logging first aid incidents, and incident reporting ;-)

Ron Hunter  
#10 Posted : 20 September 2017 13:21:55(UTC)
Ron Hunter

This Forum lacks the emoticons to convey satire. Alwayss prudent to make matters clear to a broader readership.