Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
September  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2017 19:42:18(UTC)
September

I have just completed a two week Nebosh General Certificate course which included tutiton for NGC1 and NGC2. I have my exams on Monday. I feel completely deflated and know that I have no chance of passing either exam in such a short period. My workplace are paying for the course and exam but I am definitely going to have to do the exam again as I there is no way I can retain all the information in such a short time for the exam. I have learnt about 10 definitions but am finding it extremely impossible to understand enough or even retain anything to be able to write answers as outline or explain questions. Every time I look at a question I have to look in the book to be able to answer it. Anyone else in this situation or was in this situation. Need advice. I am so deflated.

AndyMcCluskey  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2017 09:06:56(UTC)
AndyMcCluskey

Are you completely new to Health and Safety or do you have some practical experience?

J. Henry  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2017 17:11:56(UTC)
J. Henry

You can still make it .  Don't discourage yourself.  Go with positive mindset, do your best and leave the rest  to  Nebosh. Good Luck!

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2017 07:57:51(UTC)
WatsonD

Its probably a bit late now, so I hope all goes well. However, when you look at an answer, instead of reaching for the text book. Attempt to answer tha question. Write down what you can, then check your answer against the text book afterwards - you may find when called upon you are able to recite more than you thought.

The text book being to hand, it is tempting to just refer to that, but test yourself. It is the only way you will get better at anwering the questions.

hilary  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2017 09:12:54(UTC)
hilary

It's a difficult exam and a difficult course.  It is unusual to do the two weeks together, usually they are separated to allow the information to go in.

However, if you just focus on answering the question that is asked (rather than the one you want to answer) and put down key words to help you, you may very well find that you know more than you thought when it comes to the point.

Good luck

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
dgc837 on 17/10/2017(UTC)
chris42  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2017 09:46:04(UTC)
chris42

When you walk through the door to the exam room, know that you have done all the revising you can, your spelling and wordsmanship is what it is, there is nothing more at that point you can do. So, relax and answer the best you can, if nothing else look on it as a learning experience in itself. Even if you do fail you will have experienced answering the questions in the allotted time etc and you will get a good feel of the conditions, ready for the next time.

All the best and relax.

10MARK  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2017 10:03:57(UTC)
10MARK

As I write this you will be in the 1st exam so I hope it went well . My opinion is that a 2 week block and exam a few days later  is quite possibly the worse way to do the General Certificate . There is a lot to soak in especially if you dont have any real experience in H/S 

2 weeks then another 2 weeks to revise would be better but day release suited me 

I did the Fire Cert over 5 consecutive days and that was fine as I had a really good grounding in the subject already  

My Environmental cert was over 5 consecutive weeks  which was better as I did not have such a good grounding so needed the extra revision time 

I would recommend ( too late now for you September ) anyone having no choice  in doing the GC over 2 weeks to spend the weeks before the course studying and going over (very) old exam papers .Even if all the questions have now changed you will get a reasonable idea of how to speak "Nebosh" as understanding what the examiners are actually looking for is half the battle .

Even though  eventually attaining the Diploma I still found it difficult when reading the questions in the exams to work out what they wanted 

If it didnt go well then there is always a resit with loads of time for revision 

RiskAss  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2017 12:05:28(UTC)
RiskAss

I did a similar 2-week course for the national certificate in July. What I did immediately after the exams was register for resits in August as I felt I hadn't passed. With my provider it cost about £200+VAT which my company paid for. My justification was that if we waited 12 weeks for results and it was a fail, then it would take at least another 12 weeks to book a resit and wait for the results. This way, if I failed the first exams then it would only be about a month's difference between first and second results.

In the end there was no need to worry as I passed the first time, although I did receive a credit the second time around.

Good luck.

Dude7777  
#9 Posted : 17 October 2017 07:05:33(UTC)
Dude7777

I completed my NEBOSH General over 10 days back in 2008.  I had the study material one week before starting the course and realised how difficult it would be to study and retain so much information in such a short time.  I went to meet with my manager and ask to cancel the course, lucky for me my manager was off work.  Anyway I attended the course and ended up with a Distinction.  You just dont know how you will perform until you have sat the exams.  I did have a strong firefighter background which helped with the Hazards paper.  I just needed to study Health and Safety Law.  I am now Chartered, so dont give up hope until you have completed all the exams.  

thanks 1 user thanked Dude7777 for this useful post.
dgc837 on 17/10/2017(UTC)
September  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2018 19:04:22(UTC)
September

I passed all three parts. So happy.

WatsonD  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2018 08:43:52(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: September Go to Quoted Post

I passed all three parts. So happy.

Well done!

Andrew W Walker  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2018 12:47:24(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Well done indeed.

I think there are a lot of people who have looked at a molehill and seen a mountain- done it myself.

Glad you didn't give up.

Andy

September  
#13 Posted : 08 February 2018 21:22:40(UTC)
September

Thank you.