Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tenny  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2017 23:14:22(UTC)
Tenny

Any advice on how to progress my career in health and safety will be greatly appreciated. I have NEBOSH certificate in Occupational health and safety,(Studied in the UK) but i have not worked in health and safety in the UK. My last job was based in Canada.
I want to work in the building and construction industry and not sure if taking the CITB test and applying for a CSCS card is the way to go. I also want to enroll to take the NCRQ diploma, but i also know i need some work experience.
Any advice or pointers on what my options are, will be greatly appreciated.
Lastly, i am looking for work placement or where i can shadow a HSE Professional in his/her workplace (In London). Thanks in advance for all your help/advice.
Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2017 13:28:29(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

If you are looking to find a career in construction then a construction based qualification would be adviseable, for example the SMSTS as a start or the NEBOSH Construction certificate. Without experience the majority of employers would be looking at these qualifications as a minimum (although that is not always the case).

Gaining experience is vital to supplement this training and hopefully there is someone who will allow you to shadow them whilst you do the above training.

Whether you are qualified or not the majority of construction sites still require you to have either a CSCS card or a CCNSG card so I would advise you gain one of these anyway. They do not take long to complete and are relatively inexpensive in relation to the other qualifications mentioned.

Best of luck!

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2017 14:41:31(UTC)
WatsonD

Not sure I agree about SMSTS, but Nebosh construction certificate definitely. Most of those moving into H&S in this industry already come from a Construction background. Experience is key here so getting a junior level role would be your best chance at this stage - depending what your H&S experience was in Canada of course.