Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Safetybuzz  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2017 09:58:08(UTC)
Safetybuzz

Hi All,

I have recently been appointed as Head of HSEQ. One of the things I would like to do is have a team buidlng day, part of which to discuss statagy and then to get them really engaged with HSEQ.

Has anyone run an event like this? I would love to hear about any activities or speakers etc you had at the meeting that really worked for you.

This meeting needs to really add value as I will be flying in my team from accross the globe.

Thanks in advance.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2017 10:18:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Most organisations are obsessed with “How we do things?” question, rather than the “Why we do things question?” ie they are process driven. How to fill in an accident report, how to do a risk assessment, how to fill in checklist.

What gets lost in this is the ultimate motivation for H&S. So themes for an away day could be:

• Looking at drivers, why people do what they do and how this can get in the way of positive H&S
  • Looking at personal motivation within HSW: why we as H&S professionals believe in H&S; sharing H&S stories; times when you made a difference
  • Presenting H&S in positive light; how to sell H&S etc
thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Safetybuzz on 17/11/2017(UTC)
David Bannister  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:40:12(UTC)
David Bannister

I would add that it is important to include entertainment/down-time so that the team can get to know each other (and you), have some fun and thus be proud and happy to be part of the team.

The important messages you want to impart will be better received if they are all happy to be there.

Also, engage team members to each present/host or otherwise be involved in their event i.e. not just your event.

I base these comments on being dragged to too many such miserable events and enjoying a few excellent ones.

Finally, holding the event at a golf resort in Florida is undoubtedly better than going to Kiev in winter!

thanks 1 user thanked David Bannister for this useful post.
RayRapp on 20/11/2017(UTC)