Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joebaxil  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2017 12:12:00(UTC)
Joebaxil

Hi All 

I have been accepted into Loughborough university to study the MSc M.Sc. Occupational Health and Safety Management. 

Has anyone undertaken this same course and if so have they got any starter materials or guidance notes on what to expect when I start in Jan 18. I am really just trying to get bit of a head start with revision ect 

Many thanks in advance 

J

Shopland23872  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2017 18:58:11(UTC)
Shopland23872

Hello, I am glad that you asked that question I have just been accepted on the same course at Portsmouth University. So I was going to ask the same. I am still waiting to find out the price of it all, can you give me a ballpark figure of how much yours costs so I am prepared. Thanks Mark
Joao  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2017 20:56:34(UTC)
Joao

Originally Posted by: Joebaxil Go to Quoted Post

Hi All 

I have been accepted into Loughborough university to study the MSc M.Sc. Occupational Health and Safety Management. 

Has anyone undertaken this same course and if so have they got any starter materials or guidance notes on what to expect when I start in Jan 18. I am really just trying to get bit of a head start with revision ect 

Many thanks in advance 

J

Hi Joe, 

I have been accepted on the same course, however, I decided for personal reasons to defer the offer during one year.

Can you please update me at some point.

Good luck.

merkon  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2017 12:02:04(UTC)
merkon

Comparing Loughborough's programme with the same in Portsmouth, which option is the best?

Which university has the best reputation?

I can see that the cost in Loughborough is higher than Portsmouth's. Portsmouth has environmental management in the modules though.

In conclusion, which option is the best between these two?

Joao  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2017 13:26:01(UTC)
Joao

Hi, this can give an idea, however, the best will came from of the students.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018

merkon  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2017 14:01:58(UTC)
merkon

Thanks for your response.

Loughborough seems to be the best option, based on the above link.

Portsmouth offers Health and Safety plus Environmental Management though in its MSc.

But I cannot see Portsmouth University in the above list.

Joao  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2017 14:25:29(UTC)
Joao

Hi again,

Portsmouth 37 position/

merkon  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2017 14:37:23(UTC)
merkon

Do you think that Loughborough does worth the extra money? ​​​​​​​It's about 5.000 GBP more than Portsmouth.

Joao  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2017 23:32:22(UTC)
Joao

As I mentioned. You will need to speaks with an insider. Regards.
gbagri  
#10 Posted : 19 December 2017 16:35:03(UTC)
gbagri

I am studying my MSc in Safety, Health and Environment with University of Greenwich and the support network there is fantastic. Modules are really interesting too and have learned alot from it. Its distance learning. 

merkon  
#11 Posted : 19 December 2017 18:15:39(UTC)
merkon

Could you please tell me which are the modules of the MSc in university of greenwhixh?
Snakebri  
#12 Posted : 20 December 2017 18:42:01(UTC)
Snakebri

Originally Posted by: gbagri Go to Quoted Post

I am studying my MSc in Safety, Health and Environment with University of Greenwich and the support network there is fantastic. Modules are really interesting too and have learned alot from it. Its distance learning. 

hey what subjects are you studying?
gbagri  
#13 Posted : 20 December 2017 22:29:27(UTC)
gbagri

Hi all,

Year 1

Chemical Environment, Critical Thinking, Environmental Impact and Management

Management of Physical Agents, Safety and Risk Management, Research Methods

Year 2

Dissertation, Ergonomics and Workplace Psychology, The Reflective Practioner or Disaster Management and Recovery 

Not going to lie, its really hard doing it over 2 years however as I said the department staff are really helpful and don't make you feel like you are a distance learner. I took a break though inbetween when I had my son. Back on it though now and starting dissertation next month....