Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Caitlin.B  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2017 05:49:28(UTC)
Caitlin.B

Hello Everyone,

I am moving to the UK next year (Dec-2018) from Australia and would like some career advice or tips on this big move. I currently have a Bachelor of Science in Health, Safety and Environment and work in an industrial/refining environment (high hazard facility).

What training would everyone recommend and does anyone have any career advice/tips for me?

Moving was never part of my plan and I am worried how this may affect my career growth as I want to continue to work within high hazard facilties or challenging environments.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Kind regards, Caitlin.B

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2017 18:14:33(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I assume by high hazard you mean oil/gas and petro-chemicals.

My advice would be to stay where you are. The job market in this sector is terrible at the moment, with no sign of recovery - at least not until the oil price increases a great deal.

Caitlin.B  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2017 07:36:44(UTC)
Caitlin.B

It doesn't necessarily have to be oil and gas. I currently work in aluminium refining and am open to different industries such as nuclear, constuction, chemical processing etc.

Are there any industries you recommend? Or any tips for training requirements?

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2017 08:26:43(UTC)
Ian Bell2

My advice remains. Stay where you are. As previous oil and gas is poor for jobs at the moment. Nuclear also seems pretty flat. It remains to be seen if we build more nuclear power stations. The general job market is flat. Don't believe our politicians, like all politicians they bend the truth. With the stupidity and uncertainty of Brexit who knows what the UK job market will do. Salaries in h&s jobs are mediocre even with lots of experience of UK h&s and have barely changed in the last 5yrs.
ptstephenson  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2017 09:28:11(UTC)
ptstephenson

My first time posting on this forum but I felt compelled to reply. You're no doubt weighing up a significant life decision and thought you'd appreciate an alternative perspective. I recently started a new job for an O&G contractor who are seeing an improvement in the market. We seem to be a bit of a trailblazer as I know some of our competitors are still struggling, but we are seeing clients starting to invest again.

Low(er) oil prices have forced operators to change their pricing structure, (which was probably needed), and projects are being run at much lower profit margins than we saw in the $100+ barrel days...but they are still cautiously moving forward. Oil seems to have found a floor at $60-$65 and I feel positive about 2018, and believe that we will see a visble increase in activity and jobs within the sector, particularly by the end of the year which is when you are thinking of moving. ($60 oil is actually pretty good if you look at the overall historical average which is ~$40).

Your BSc will stand you in very good stead so I would make enquiries about starting to work towards Chartered membership of IOSH and certainly not rule out the move!

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2017 10:04:19(UTC)
Ian Bell2

It is true the oil price isn't as low as it was, as previous the job market remains poor. There are plenty of HSE/process safety engineers looking for work with UK oil and gas knowledge/experience available. Also bear in mind, it remains the case that most of the oil based jobs are in Aberdeen, so if you don't mind North East Scotland .... miles from anywhere. Some high hazard industries around Middlebrough/Teesside, Humberside, Granfemouth (Scotland) . Occasional jobs in the north west around Manchester. General manufacturing is weak. Metal processing/heavy manufacturing not a British thing anymore, more money in financial services hence lack of government support for such industries.