Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
signals  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2018 13:13:29(UTC)
signals

Hi Guys, I am a Chartered  Safety and Health Practioner of 11 years and of those 11 years I have always been the Client so I did not require a CSCS card to gain access to my sites as my Chartered Status and an Induction was suffice. How do I go about getting a CSCS Card and doi I have to sit an exam? Rod

Clark34486  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2018 13:16:11(UTC)
Clark34486

Unfortunately yes, make sure you go through the official CITB site to book, else you may find yourself clocking up all sorts of hidden fees

I have the white 'professionally qualified person' card

signals  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2018 14:04:09(UTC)
signals

Cheers

jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2018 08:25:06(UTC)
jodieclark1510

It will possibly be the MAP exam you will need to take, depending ont he level of card you want/ need, and if you need anything like qualifications to fulfill the criteria- I have the Academically Qualified Person card as I have the NEBOSH Diploma.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2018 23:09:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given recent clarification on who should actually have a CSCS card (other than satisfying lazy H&S verification systems) do you meet the criteria of a Construction Trade requiring Qualification?

https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/why-a-100-carded-workforce-isnt-always-100-right/

Even CiTB have lost faith and given notice of their intention to quit verification of the scheme  https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/citb-to-withdraw-from-cscs-card-administration-service/

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2018 23:09:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given recent clarification on who should actually have a CSCS card (other than satisfying lazy H&S verification systems) do you meet the criteria of a Construction Trade requiring Qualification?

https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/why-a-100-carded-workforce-isnt-always-100-right/

Even CiTB have lost faith and given notice of their intention to quit verification of the scheme  https://www.cscs.uk.com/news/citb-to-withdraw-from-cscs-card-administration-service/

Pkirbyesquire  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2018 12:20:42(UTC)
Pkirbyesquire

I lost faith in this system years ago.

I have held two cards from the inception of the scheme in the 90's until recently . I've worked on some of the largest construction projects in the country over that time in a variety of capacities and never once have those cards been out of my wallet. I've offered them to gatehouses and site managers and have been told, 'nah. you're alright mate' on more occasions than I can remember. Is it because i had 'Safety' on my Hi Viz or is attitude the inherent cause of the decline of the scheme?

Mark-W  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2018 08:48:05(UTC)
Mark-W

I hold NEBOSH Gen and this suffices for the client group that I work for. We occasionaly have contracts installing A/C on big sites. NGBailey being 1 of the main contractors we work for. I'm happy looking at my engineers in the work they conduct but in the big scheme of things I don't have a great understanding of CDM regs.  For me to attend site, I have to conduct the site induction and have a site visitors CSCS card. So a 20min tick test and job done. I didn't feel like learning all the CDM regs just to gain the white card to go on site. It wasn't a good use of my time.

I dislike construction sites imensly. To many argumentative contractors

UncleFester  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2018 09:48:16(UTC)
UncleFester

I've held CSCS and ECITB cards for a while and echo many of the thoughts on here. Wear a hi-viz and even better - carry a clipboard - and it's unlikely you'll ever be asked for your cards...

Only once have I been asked to show a card - and even though it contains a chip - it's never been through a reader.

boblewis  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2018 16:33:14(UTC)
boblewis

The Gr*** Dra*** inLinc*** did a very good trade including hacking into CITB systems and getting a genuine number and putting your name on the database.  I lost faith in the system very early on in its life.  The old CORGI cards suffered a similar fraud problem.