Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark James  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2018 21:39:07(UTC)
Mark James

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mark James and I am a Chartered Safety Practitioner, Chair of the Staffordshire Branch and sit on IOSH Council for the past 18 months.

The reason for my post is to offer guidance and support for anyone who needs it for anything to do with their professional development.

Within the Staffordshire Branch we have a Committee of 15 strong Safety Professionals who have gone through or are going through:

- IPD

- NVQ 3 & 5

- NCRQ

- NEBOSH - General/ Diploma, Fire, Construction

We have two IOSH Mentors within the Branch who are dedicated support for IOSH Members and Non-IOSH Members who are there to assist you...

CONTACT US:

You can either discuss your support requirements on this forum or contact myself or our Secretary who will be happy to link you up with someone from within our Committee, just email:

- secretary-staffordshire@ioshnetworks.co.uk

or

chair-staffordshire@ioshnetworks.co.uk

or

comms-staffordshire@ioshnetworks.co.uk

COME AND SEE US:

If you are ever passing Stafford (Junction 14 - M6), some and see us at the Tillington Hall Hotel - Best Western. We hold our Events every third Thursday of each month.

Pop to our website to find out a little more about us:

www.iosh.co.uk/staffordshirebranch

Hopefully we will get you the support you need for your professional development.

Kindest Regards

Mark James - CMIOSH

Chair - Staffordshire Branch

Edited by user 11 February 2018 00:09:14(UTC)  | Reason: Grammer

thanks 1 user thanked Mark James for this useful post.
A Reed on 11/02/2018(UTC)
McCann16741  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2018 14:26:52(UTC)
McCann16741

Hi, I am about to undertake my IPD assessments and need a bit of advice in relation to CPD audit prep.

I have done a clear out of old activities (I was told anything older than a year should be cleared) and updating with new reflective accounts as normal.  I would appreciate any advice and guidance that anyone who has been through this could offer.  I just want to ensure that I have enough material and I'm giving myself the best chance of passing.

Thanks 

Mark James  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2018 15:03:47(UTC)
Mark James

Hi McCann16741,

Our Mentor Adam Reed will be in contact with you in relation to your request.

With reference to CPD information, you are required to keep your CPD upto date and should aim for a minimum of 6 entries per year.

IOSH are going to be launching a new website this year which will be easier and more responsive when logging and using the CPD function.

The aim of the audit is to ensure you are keeping upto date CPD and the activities are valuable and meet the criteria.

As a rule we should look at formailsing our CPD Logs:

1. What was the Activity?

2. Why did i do it?

3. What did I learn/ gain from doing it?

4. How will I use the knowledge/ skills gained going forward?

If you look at using this format when completing CPD and put meat on the bone for each point, your CPD will be fine.

If HQ come back and say you have failed the audit, all you will have to do is go back with a corrective action plan and submit this to HQ. (They wont re-audit your CPD).

Regards

Mark...

thanks 3 users thanked Mark James for this useful post.
Bootneck997 on 26/02/2018(UTC), ElaineM on 01/03/2018(UTC), McCann16741 on 12/03/2018(UTC)
S.Dale  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2018 12:14:47(UTC)
S.Dale

Hi All,

From the discussions that have been posted, i am hoping that there is someone out there who can help me. I need some guidance on the CPD and Development Plan. Within my organisation as standard each employee is set objectives for the coming year, at 6 monthly intervals progress is reviewed as well as the actual objective as somethings may have changed, which has lead to a new part of the objective having to be set, with a requirment for evidence to be provided to show that each of the objectives have been met.

I guess my question is can i base my development plan on the objectives that i have  been set each year and upload the evidecne that i have for each. is this enough? What would a typical Development plan include ?

Thanks Guys x

A Reed  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2018 16:17:07(UTC)
A Reed

Hi S.Dale,

The areas to consider when completing your development plan are;

• Your current main duties and responsibilities
  • What knowledge, skills and experience are you expected to demonstrate? Do you have all of these?
  • Do you need to update any of your current knowledge or skills?
  • What are your career objectives?
  • What knowledge, skills and experience would you like to develop?
  • Do you need any formal training?
  • Are there any foreseeable circumstances that may affect your CPD? (For example, a long-term project.)
  • Which sections of the framework do you need to focus on? (For example, early in your career, you’ll probably need to concentrate on development more than maintenance but bear in mind that you need to cover maintenance too.)

As for your organization setting you 6 monthly objectives, they sure can go into your development plan, remember the development plan is really for you to reflect on, so adding in updates every so often is good because it shows development and maintenance of skills.

Hope this helps,

Adam

thanks 1 user thanked A Reed for this useful post.
Mark James on 04/03/2018(UTC)
Pbrause  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2018 10:56:57(UTC)
Pbrause

Thanks for the input Mark. I recently passed the EOA part B and it was quite a relief. The questions were challenging but the command words/action verbs created much more doubt with my responses. I appreciate your guidance with the CPD/IPD process as this is my current hurdle. I wish there were more people like you on these forums. As an American CSP I sometimes struggle with the UK format and terms. There is a slight variationto the theme despite our similar process, common language and shared history. Official IOSH guidance is sometimes limited and it's great to have someone who can fill in the gaps.

Mark James  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2018 16:47:35(UTC)
Mark James

Hey Pbrause,

Well done on passing Part B... I remeber undertaking this too, of which people do take it for granted on the complexity of it.

It is for these reasons I have focused on helping others with their professional progression.

If there is anything else you may need help, guidance or support with, dont hesitate to contact me at your earliest convenience...

Are you on LinkedIn? If so then we should connect, here is my profile hyperlink: 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-james-cmiosh-b20ab230/

Let me know when you get bookedin for your PRI, as myself and my Branch have provided assistance here to in removing the stigma around this process...

Regards

Mark James - CMIOSH

Chairman - IOSH Staffordshire & Council Member

thanks 1 user thanked Mark James for this useful post.
Pbrause on 21/06/2018(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2018 07:36:18(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I have a quick question please- I am going to be looking at quite a big body of work which will cover more than 1 element of my IPD, can I use the same evidence i.e. an email trail where these have been discussed if it covers more than one element in each element or could I only use it once?

Mark James  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2018 07:58:50(UTC)
Mark James

Hi jodieclark1510                  

I get asked this question all of the time.

The answer to your question is yes, based on splitting the work activity up into sections and also if you can set tha particlar sction f work against theCPD categories:

- Maintenance of Skills

- New Professional Skills

- Transferable-Management Skills

- Completed with no assigned Activity Type

CPD it just a record of your work activities as a Safety Practitioner, you will decide what fits in where and the level of detail you enter on each entry.

To set out your entries I use the following:

= What the activity was?

= Why I carried out this activty?

= What did I learn from this activity?

= How I intend to use the knowledgeauired going forward?

I hope this information has been of use to you in relation to your question.

Regards

Mark...

Edited by user 13 June 2018 08:10:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mark James for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 13/06/2018(UTC), Pbrause on 21/06/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2018 08:14:58(UTC)
Kate

Jodie, I seem to remember I did this in my IPD.  I think I highlighted different parts of the same email trail for different sections of the IPD.  However this was quite some time ago now.  I don't see though how there could be any objection in principle, if you are using different aspects of the same project to demonstrate different criteria.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 13/06/2018(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#11 Posted : 13 June 2018 09:52:39(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Thank you Kate and Mark James, I do appreciate your help!

A Reed  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2018 20:02:42(UTC)
A Reed

Hi Jodie, 

As Kate has said, I would see no issue with this so long as it is hitting the criterion. You can also use evidence across critetion providing they are relevant. 

Out of interest, do you have an mentor for your IPD? You can ask IOSH and they will assign a mentor to assist if needed. 

All the best

Adam  

jodieclark1510  
#13 Posted : 15 June 2018 09:47:26(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Hi Adam, thank you, for the info, it is appreciated, I think I will do that.

Mark James  
#14 Posted : 22 June 2018 14:23:57(UTC)
Mark James

Hi jodieclark1510 I hope you have got everything sorted now?

If any of us can be of further asistance, please don not hesitate to get in touch...

Regards

Mark...

Pbrause  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2018 14:43:04(UTC)
Pbrause

Thanks again Mark James. It looks as though my CPD audit went well. I added meat to the bone in the areas you indicated. I mentioned in another forum that I might have gone way overboard on the reflective statements. “How much is too much” is sometimes a difficult question to answer.
Mark James  
#16 Posted : 22 June 2018 14:51:53(UTC)
Mark James

Hey Pbrause,

I am so pleased that it all went well for you.

I would agree with you about how much is too much, but equally would say if it summarises your activities and what you got ou of it, so others reading it know without doubt what it is you have done or taken part in, the it is surely enough...

Regards

Mark...

jodieclark1510  
#17 Posted : 26 June 2018 14:25:03(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Originally Posted by: Mark James Go to Quoted Post

Hi jodieclark1510 I hope you have got everything sorted now?

If any of us can be of further asistance, please don not hesitate to get in touch...

Regards

Mark...

Thanks Mark I do appreciate it and probably will ask for some help again, having real difficulty getting to listen in to the IPD webinars which isn't ideal, but such is life!

Mark James  
#18 Posted : 27 June 2018 20:51:54(UTC)
Mark James

Any time you need support, Staffordshire Branch are here... Regards Mark...
MaxPayne  
#19 Posted : 28 June 2018 06:34:21(UTC)
MaxPayne

Mark,

I wish I'd found your posts earlier having sat through a tortuous PRI and am now anxiously awaiting the results.  My observation is that IOSH provide practically nothing to prepare candidates for that last part of the process and I had no idea that it involves essentially verbalising exam questions to the panel based on personal experiences and being able to contextualise those.  Comments I have read on forums describing the interview as a "discussion with peers" is in my experience completley wrong and my organisation gave up interview panels in that style years ago as it does not provide an environment which gets the best out of the candidate, i.e. 3 panel members sitting directly opposite the single candidate (often anxious anyway) in a very formalised manner.  I fail to see the point entirely of the PRI in this way because it's almost as if (to me at least) that IOSH don't trust the qualifications you have achieved and experiences gained (NVQ route) to get you to this point, including undertaking the open assessment.

I'd just like to thank you for offering support and advice which is lacking from IOSH directly and I'll possibly seek your advice if I have failed the PRI this time.

Mark James  
#20 Posted : 28 June 2018 07:18:48(UTC)
Mark James

Hi MaxPayne,

I'm sorry to hear that your PRI experience was not comfortable to you, as I completely agree with what you said that if you only had had some pre-advice or seen this thread you may of had a different view on the process.

The PRI Panel is set up this way not to check your level of competence as this has already been done by you achieving your Diploma, they are simply just confirming you are you.

Achiecing Chartered Status of IOSH is an amazing achievemnt and we all aspire to achieve this (well most anyway), so the Panel are just ratifying that you are indeed that person who has done all of that hard work to get to this stage. 

I personally feel having a stuctured ratification process makes achieving Chartered Staus that more credible.

If you ever need any help or support regarding any professional development, then I and the Stafffordshire Branch are here for you.

Please let me know your results when you find out.

Take care...

Mark...

NB: If you would like to connect on LinkedIn, you can find me by this following link:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-james-cmiosh-b20ab230/ 

Edited by user 28 June 2018 07:19:58(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar

Pbrause  
#21 Posted : 03 July 2018 02:57:21(UTC)
Pbrause

I think you hit the nail on the head Mark. I believe that a structured validation process is key to maintaining the credibility of IOSH membership or any other professional organization. I’m from the United States and there is no shortage of dubious post-nominals here. The value of these designations is directly proportionate to the effort it takes to obtain them. I chose the combination of CSP certification and Chartered IOSH membership post-nominals because they are earned, not given. I hope this does not change despite the anxiety I felt when working towards these goals.
ooohaaa  
#22 Posted : 09 July 2018 11:34:05(UTC)
ooohaaa

I have recently upgraded my IOSH membership to Graduate after acheiving the NEBOSH Diploma and would like to go for Chartered membership.  I have already received details for this from the IOSH membership team but would be very grateful if you could enlighten me further regarding the Skills Development Portfolio (SDP).  For this, I was advised that I have to select 7 criteria out of 5 elements - could you let me know what these 'elements' are and what form and depth/breadth of knowledge is expected from my SDP?

Many thanks in anticipation.

A Reed  
#23 Posted : 09 July 2018 18:47:23(UTC)
A Reed

Originally Posted by: ooohaaa Go to Quoted Post

I have recently upgraded my IOSH membership to Graduate after acheiving the NEBOSH Diploma and would like to go for Chartered membership.  I have already received details for this from the IOSH membership team but would be very grateful if you could enlighten me further regarding the Skills Development Portfolio (SDP).  For this, I was advised that I have to select 7 criteria out of 5 elements - could you let me know what these 'elements' are and what form and depth/breadth of knowledge is expected from my SDP?

Hello,

Firstly, congratulations on attaining Graduate status!

It is good that you have approached IOSH about IPD as they are very useful.

When you register for the IPD process, you will get it followed up by an email containing all the information you require to start your SDP. When I signed up, I asked for an IPD Mentor, which IOSH then assign one to you, which again can be useful if required. 

You have 2 years to complete the process and can use evidence up to two years old at date of submission. 

Your correct, there are a total of 5 elements and you will need to complete 7 criteria in those elements. 

Element 1 - 3 you will complete 1 criterion on each and elements 4 & 5 require 2 criteria submitting so that’s a total of 7 criterion to be covered in total. You can start more than one criterion at a time, and likewise you can also change your mind and start a totally different criterion if you don’t think your evidence is going to cover it. 

The process is looking at how you are competent and how you have approached different scenarios, I am confident at Graduate level you will have the required level of knowledge to be able to complete the SDP. 

Remember, the process is about YOU, so the evidence doesn’t have to come from your current role, it’s more important that you can cover it with your knowledge in whatever role. 

The criterion cover a wide range of competences such as developing and promoting positive safety cultures right through to when you have carried out an accident investigation. 

I am part of IOSH Staffordshire, and we run IPD/CPD sessions at every event, useful to have that face to face sometimes. 

Hope this helps

Adam 

Edited by user 09 July 2018 18:49:11(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling - Do'h!

JayPownall  
#24 Posted : 10 July 2018 09:01:11(UTC)
JayPownall

Originally Posted by: ooohaaa Go to Quoted Post

In direct answer to your query - once you are ready to start your IPD, you need to ring/email IOSH and pay the relevant fee in order to be enrolled onto your IPD.

Once you have, you will be provided with an SDP Guidance document which will outline all of the elements and criteria from which you can base your submission. I would advise you wait until you enroll to receive this document 1) because of recent revision changes to the guide; so be wary of accepting copies from other candidates, and 2) there's far too much within it to post on line!

Jamie

Mid Life  
#25 Posted : 13 July 2018 15:35:48(UTC)
Mid Life

I suppose I should count myself very fortunate...Im a member of the Stafford IOSH Branch have contact with Adam and Mark on a regular basis.

Adam has very kindly taken time to sit with me and /explain/ discuss the process while Mark and his team continue to provide both enjoyble and thought provoking CPD.

I'm now at the point where the money has been paid and the information has been sent out by IOSH. Time to start reading I suppose.

Thanks guys 

thanks 1 user thanked Mid Life for this useful post.
A Reed on 17/07/2018(UTC)
Pbrause  
#26 Posted : 13 July 2018 18:20:43(UTC)
Pbrause

I couldn’t agree more with your comment. I also appreciate the Staffordshire IOSH branch for spearheading this forum. It has helped me considerably and I always look forward to checking in when new comments or questions are added. Staffordshire IOSH is great example of how members can support each other and their community. They are clearly willing to go the extra mile and lend a helping hand along the way. I’m not a member of this branch but they are clearly a catalyst for bringing the greater IOSH family closer together. I joined their LinkedIn group to keep more abreast of their activities.
ooohaaa  
#27 Posted : 17 July 2018 10:47:05(UTC)
ooohaaa

Many thanks to all who have kindly responded to my last post - it was useful and IOSH have emailed me the 5 criteria.  I will crack on with this now.  Although because of geopgraphic reasons I may no make it to the Sraffordshire meetings - perhaps could keep up using the LinkedIn group?