Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Agileshsea  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2018 14:59:54(UTC)
Agileshsea

I would like your assistance if possible, could display a poster in your premises to recruit potential participants in this study for interviews in the following months, or to complete a questionnaire later in the year?

I am carrying out a doctoral study at the University of Sunderland into the perceptions and opinions of former Joiners/Carpenters that focuses on their past work practices, occupational health and their story of retirement. This study has a working title of ‘Early Retirement: A Developmental Stage in the Life Course of Carpenters.’

The study relates to the modern phenomena we are experiencing of an ever-ageing workforce and moreover in industries such as construction, retaining older, experienced workers can be difficult. This study looks to investigate the ideas, opportunities and barriers of retaining and encouraging older workers to remain healthy and comfortable in their workplace for longer. This research is targeted towards encouraging worker participation in the industry so that the knowledge and experience of construction workers is not wasted. This research is directed towards the important and pivotal trade of Joiner/Carpenter, and their experiences of working as an older worker, and their perceptions of early retirement and its prevention. The life experience and opinions of retired tradesmen are therefore invaluable in the analysis of these phenomena.

This research will be carried out by me, Andy Giles CMIOSH. I am not sponsored by any organisations, or tied to any affiliations. These interviews form part of my Thesis research for a Professional Doctorate at the University of Sunderland. This is a University study and will conform to agreed ethical procedures with all replies being treated in total confidence, with reporting of the results undertaken in a statistical form with no named references.

My background is varied, I have been a construction H&S professional for the last 17 years, and previous to this some 18 years within the Civil and RAF Fire Services (6 of these in the dual role of H & S Adviser!).  This study for the Professional Doctorate at the University of Sunderland is the pinnacle of the last 23 years of professional study into occupational health and safety.

If you are or know anyone who is a retired carpenter/Joiner, particularly if they have retired because of occupational ill health could you please pass on my contact details, if they are willing to assist. Mobile: 07377 834737 or e-mail: agileshsea@aol.com NOTE Owing to logistics and costs I will only be able to carry out interviews with willing participants in the North East of England. However, questionnaire assistance can be UK wide.