Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CEGraham  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2018 10:31:10(UTC)
CEGraham

One of my client's has around ten employees based in a workshop (two rooms and mezzane floor) with the occasional contractor or visitor.  I am undecided whether to introduce a visitors book on site as they are a small business and their working environment isn't large either.  Grateful for any views.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2018 11:43:50(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Why do you want a visitor’s book?

Possible answers are:

• Fire roll call- but unless the site is big ( but with few people on it) it is unlikely you will lose anybody
  • Security- if anything goes missing you would have an idea who was on site at that time but again will they wander around unsupervised?
  • You have a receptionist and they need something to do- don’t laugh I have heard of this as a justification for a signing in book
  • There might be some technical reason linked to quality control that you need to sign everybody in form example if the place was involved in forensic work or drugs manufacture
thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
CEGraham on 20/02/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2018 11:59:39(UTC)
Hsquared14

No much to add really but you might want to keep a track of the time spent on site by contractors so that you can check the bill (just sayin') so in which case your visitor's book could come in handy. 

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
CEGraham on 20/02/2018(UTC)
CEGraham  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2018 14:43:35(UTC)
CEGraham

Thanks for all your feedback - food for thought and greatly appreciated.

Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2018 23:11:20(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I have used visitors books to good advantage in a number of instances. A few times for checking contractors hours against time they were charging for, a case where an employee was claiming he injured his back on the job when he wasn't even in that day and in a case where an insurance assessor inspected a ridiculously large number of mewps within a narrow time frame and said he was on site all day. (A bit big brotherish I admit)

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

No much to add really but you might want to keep a track of the time spent on site by contractors so that you can check the bill (just sayin') so in which case your visitor's book could come in handy. 

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
CEGraham on 22/02/2018(UTC)
Ian A-H  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2018 07:54:05(UTC)
Ian  A-H

And it presents an opportunity to inform contractors about the presence of asbestos in the building; emergency procedures; site rules; PTW requirements; first aid provision; fire exits; telephone locations etc.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian A-H for this useful post.
CEGraham on 22/02/2018(UTC)