Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chachi  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 15:47:52(UTC)
Chachi

Hi All, first time poster here so be genlte!

I've held my NGC for many years now but untill a couple of years ago I hadn't done anything useful with it.

My background was 14yrs at a manufacturing plant (auto supplier) and then onto retail/distribution (another 14 and counting....). For the past two years I have been working with the H&S manager (the odd afternoon) trying to gain some experience, work place insp, racking insp etc but I feel that It isnt enough (although he is very accomodating/helpful) for me to have the confidence to gain a H&S role.

Despite this I have been applying for jobs but with no success. I am at a bit of a crossroad as to what to do next, NVQ5 (think I would struggle with Diploma) or possibly an Auditing course once 45001 has come out?

All advice/comments greatly appreciated.

PeterP  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2018 10:21:50(UTC)
PeterP

Hi Chachi,

Have you looked into the NCRQ Diploma?

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2018 11:51:11(UTC)
peter gotch

Chechi

I don't think you would gain very much from an ISO auditor course unless you are going to have the opportunity to then put it into practice and gain auditing experience to add to your CV.

VQ enables the flexibility to consider how to use all aspects of your current job to build up a portfolio.

arslansamee  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2018 17:37:02(UTC)
arslansamee

personally i believe iso certifications do give a better understanding of management systems in your company and especially when integrated management system is being used.I have seen many safety jobs descriptions asking the candidate to show good understanding of OSHAS and an iso certifcation will ensure that you do have a certain level of understanding. How ever to land a better job ultimaltely you will need to complete a level 05 or level 06 qualifications since lots of candidates in the job market already have level 03 qualifications.

Edited by user 10 March 2018 17:39:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chachi  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2018 11:05:13(UTC)
Chachi

Thanks for your input guys,

PeterP I'll have a look into that, bit more research needed me thinks.

PeterP Forum user

• Posts 17
  • Reputation +51
PM