Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DLawrance  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 16:02:53(UTC)
DLawrance

What is the issue with completing an exam in pencil?

Andrew W Walker  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2018 16:12:39(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Answers can be changed?

DLawrance  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2018 16:31:49(UTC)
DLawrance

what if the Invigilator puts your paper straight into a sealed envelope and only the examiner can open it? I only ask as someone I know completed their whole exam in pencil and started to write in pen over it and ran out of time to finish in pen.

biker1  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2018 16:59:05(UTC)
biker1

I can think of two reasons. Firstly, writing in ink is more permanent and therefore less open to tinkering with. Second, it may be that the scripts need to be photocopied, and it is for this reason that black ink is usually specified, to get a decent copy.

BTW - I still have a pen designed in the days of the space race. The Americans spent a considerable amount of money designing a pen that would write in zero gravity, upside down etc; the Russians just used pencils.

JayPownall  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:27:49(UTC)
JayPownall

It's pointless advice now but I've always been told to complete exams in ink, and if you make a hash of it, strike through and carry on. Why ink, well I guess it's more robust and not as easy to 'rub out' as has been discussed already. There was also talk of computer marked papers being unable to read non-Ink substances off the paper, in essence similar to the photocopying problems pencil causes - that was the case during my school and college exams. I'm guessing the paper is only being marked up to the point that's been done in ink?
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2018 21:07:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

I can think of two reasons. Firstly, writing in ink is more permanent and therefore less open to tinkering with. Second, it may be that the scripts need to be photocopied, and it is for this reason that black ink is usually specified, to get a decent copy.

BTW - I still have a pen designed in the days of the space race. The Americans spent a considerable amount of money designing a pen that would write in zero gravity, upside down etc; the Russians just used pencils.

MYTH - pencils require sharpening and pieces of graphite floating around inside an intricate electronics system is a recipe for disaster
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2018 21:12:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

Old adage "never trust a grown up that writes in pencil" (typicallly the preserve of accountants as they altered the books - nowadays they just hit delete in Excel...other spreadsheets are available)

lorna  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2018 09:02:16(UTC)
lorna

The CIEH multi-choice tests used to have to be completed with a 2B pencil - not easy to find. I used to have a plentiful supply of HB & tell them to press hard but rub out well if wrong. For some weird reason, their machine struggled with anything else....