Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alext  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2018 10:35:15(UTC)
Alext

Hold a Nebosh General and working part time experience as a Site Manager whilst looking to do some freelance work. 

Considering taking the Nebosh Diploma and want to build on my knowledge and experience. Wondering if its in my best interest in terms of oppportunities it could create or if there are other areas I could look at investing the money in. 

Guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced an improvement in circumstances after progressing from General to Diploma

stuart46  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2018 11:30:15(UTC)
stuart46

Hi Alext,

I've been following another thread these past few days that touches upon the benefits, or not, of having Nebosh qualifications. My personal experience tells me that I would not be where I am today had I not followed up my Certificate with the Diploma. There are other qualifications/routes available now but having the Nebosh Diploma certainly assisted in my career growth and I learnt a hell of a lot, not just H&S. I found it gave me the ability to focus on things that are hard to achieve if you try hard enough. It pushed my academic abilities to the limit but it was worth the effort. I think employers recognise this. Others will undoubtedly disagree that Nebosh qualifications are necessary but you only get out what you put in.

thanks 1 user thanked stuart46 for this useful post.
Doug32 on 17/05/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2018 13:07:55(UTC)
Kate

I didn't do the Certificate but I did do the Diploma.

When discussing my qualifications with other people who also hold the Diploma (for example, in job interviews) I have at times sensed that we know each other's pain thus enhancing mutual respect. 

George_Young  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2018 13:11:34(UTC)
George_Young

I am a holder of a diploma, it is the NCRQ diploma rather than the NEBOSH diploma, the diploma has helped me a lot with my day to day role within health and safety, investing in the diploma was the right decision for me.

before booking the NEBOSH diploma, consider looking at alternatives to find one that suits your needs (costs, times, assessments, etc)

Good luck if you decide to go futher

George

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
lorna on 18/05/2018(UTC)
Woolf13  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2018 13:22:53(UTC)
Woolf13

It all depends how far you want to go personally and what the job requires from you. It will certainly provide for you a more holistic view of SHE and open your eyes to the level and breath of knowledge required for certain work activites etc.

It is one way of furthering the training to supplement you skills, knowledge and experience which make up a person's competence.

In short will it help with development and progressing up the career ladder, absolutely. It is a foot in the door as they say, but qualifications only get you so far.

Zyggy  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2018 13:28:52(UTC)
Zyggy

Taking this from another angle, I have tutored on both the NEBOSH Cert. & Diploma & kept in touch with a number of students, taking a keen interest in their career progressions.

The Dip. students on the whole found it easier to obtain employment as many employers do not really understand the different types of qualifications & the majority asked for the Dip., which usually meant that those without it didn't get very far in the recruitment process, i.e. no Dip., no "tick in the box"!

Yes, there are many organisations that do not seek candidates with a Dip. for a whole host of reasons & there are other alternatives such as Degrees, NVQ, etc. However, from an academic point of view, attaining this qualification is quite an achievement &, in my opinion, give you an excellent chance to move forwards.

watcher  
#7 Posted : 17 May 2018 15:34:48(UTC)
watcher

I didn't do the certificate, but my administrator did. as it was a good introduction to H & S snd allowed him to have some understanding of the business.

So, I would say that there is benefit in progressing beyond the certificate, if you want a H & S role.

You say that you are a site manager just now - have you considered doing construction H & S qualification?