Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlacey83  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2018 08:02:20(UTC)
mlacey83

Good Morning,

I have 2 welders who we supply fire retardant overalls to, however after a few washes they lose their chemical coating and seem to be no more retardant than standard hi vis work overalls.

Can anyone recommend any brands that retain the ability to offer some protection to the wearer from burns?

Or has anyone used any alternatives such as the sprays to apply to the overalls?

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2018 11:49:51(UTC)
Hsquared14

The problem isn't the material and its treatment it is the washing.  You need to check the washing instructions label, I think you will find they should be dry cleaned.

ExDeeps  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2018 15:16:03(UTC)
ExDeeps

I agree with H14, fire retardent clothing comes with very specific laundry instructions, your household non-bio and softener just doesn't cut the mustard and destroys the fire retardent properties.

Out of curiosity, where are your welders getting burns? Hands(I hope not), lower arm, upper arm or across the chest? Worth thinking about and looking at how the welding task is planned versus performed

Jim

Zyggy  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2018 16:06:23(UTC)
Zyggy

Sounds like you are using probanised overalls which are chemically treated cotton & these do lose their effectiveness over time due to laundering & use. An alternative may be purchasing inherently fire retardant clothing that retains its properties despite cleaning, e.g. Nomex. These may initially be more expensive to buy at first, but cheaper in the long run!

Edited by user 18 June 2018 16:07:32(UTC)  | Reason: Fat fingers!

Blackburn31728  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2018 14:19:42(UTC)
Blackburn31728

You will find fire retardant clothing has been sprayed with a chemical so will wash off after time but fire resistant clothing has the fire resistant twines material woven into it so will last much longer go for the later for best clothing

johnmurray  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2018 21:17:38(UTC)
johnmurray

If the manufacturers cleaning instructions are not followed (inevitably dry cleaning) then neither fire resistant nor retardent will keep their properties. Where do they get damaged? Wrists, waist and legs (usually around the ankles) Why do welders like rigger boots? Because you can get them off fast...I've had far more burns around my ankles than anywhere else) However, a boil-wash is cheaper.