Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ClaireD100  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2018 17:25:16(UTC)
ClaireD100

Hello,

I am new to H&S training and would appreciate some advice from anybody here. I have worked in the construction / maintenance industry for many years now.

I am thinking of taking this course and wondered if anyone could tell me if it would be a way to gain Tech or Grad membership. I would eventually like to teach IOSH courses and need to have at least Tech membership to be able to do so (I already hold a teaching qualification)

https://www.alphasafety.co.uk/course/iq-level-5-(nvq)-diploma-in-occupational-health-&-safety/131

If it's not suitable, could anybody advise me on an alternative route? I chose this course as it is NVQ based and I can't really afford to take lots of time off of work at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help

linda xc  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2018 13:55:51(UTC)
linda xc

Hi

That looks to be the old standard (under City & Guilds known as the 3654-05).  You would want the new standard - 3654-06 with the optional unit 611 in order to get Grad.IOSH.

When you make your choice, find out who else has had success with them and what the Assessor is like.  I have just been speaking to one candidate who has had 7 assesssors so far and currently is un- assigned so can not progress.  Not something you want to be paying for!

Regards

Linda

thanks 1 user thanked linda xc for this useful post.
ShaunG on 28/10/2018(UTC)
Fenge2  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2018 13:59:08(UTC)
Fenge2

Hello Clare, I personally decided to get the NEBOSH General Certificate first as it will teach you all the basics needed to progress. The Nebosh General Certificate will also give you tech level on IOSH. After completing the General Certificate I recommend doing the NVQ level 5 as it helps to develop skills and knowledge even further and gives you grad iosh. Hope this helps Matt
Mid Life  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2018 08:15:49(UTC)
Mid Life

Claire

A good bit of advice by Matt. Gen Certificate and NVQ L5 is the route I took

Regards

Edited by user 22 June 2018 08:16:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2018 13:30:57(UTC)
peter gotch

Good advice from Linda who is probably the guru on this forum when it comes to VQ qualifications.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
linda xc on 26/06/2018(UTC)
AHC323  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2018 08:37:56(UTC)
AHC323

Is NVQ L5 still recognised? I heard that from 2018 onwards only NVQ L6 will be recognised for GradIOSH. Any ideas

attwoodtony  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2018 11:44:32(UTC)
attwoodtony

Take a look at the NCRQ route , the applied health &safety is level 6 , most of the work is case study not verbatum repetion of  H&S .That meaning its real world as it really happens day after day .The diploma route is great too .

shell56006  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2018 12:09:54(UTC)
shell56006

Im doing the Level 5 with the option of completing another unit at the end to gain Grad Iosh, I looked at the distance learning option but then went with Gower college - the tutor comes to my work place even though it is self funded - check around for prices most are VAT free or will waver the VAT for safety training ;-) Its a good course im really enjoying it - but i did do the Iosh managing safely, then the Nebosh Gen Cert & my Nebosh Environmental before attempting this ;-) 

ScottRoberts1995  
#9 Posted : 14 August 2018 10:07:34(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

What qualifications in H&S do you currently have?

Are you in a H&S position currently? 

This is my understanding of the process:

Technical membership is not only qualification based. What I mean by that is that purely having the qualification will not make you eligible for TechIOSH, you also have to meet the experience level  which is 2 years I believe in a H&S based role. 

However with  GradIOSH you will be eligible directly after the qualification without any experience.

TechIOSH

- Do NEBOSH General

- Meet experience level

GradIOSH

- Do NVQ Level 5

- BSc

- MSc