Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ope  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2018 06:06:02(UTC)
Ope

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum I need your candid advice, I was in uk in 2012 to study MSC in engineering project management from coventry uni. I made use of the opportunity to get nebosh international General certificate in occupational health and safety. I left for my home country before the expiration of my study visa, fast forward to 2018 am back to the UK on tier 2 dependent visa because my wife got a job as medical doctor with southend university hospital. However during my stay in my home country from 2013 to 2018 I didn't practice in health and safety field. How can I kick start a career in health and safety in uk, please your honest advice will be appreciated Thanks
Theresem  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2018 09:15:50(UTC)
Theresem

Good morning Ope, 

A good start (if you have the time) is to volunteer i.e. St John Ambulance, Red Cross. A number of charities are looking for H&S volunteers and this will give you good exposure.

With Nebosh certificate you will also illustrate to prospective employers that you have the interest in the subject. Also make the most of your IOSH membership and network at your local events. 

Good luck 

Ope  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2018 10:03:22(UTC)
Ope

Thereaem Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate. I will look into it.
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2018 12:36:32(UTC)
peter gotch

Ope

In answer to both your postings, I think it would help if you gave more indication of the type of role that you are looking for and a flavour of your experience up to now.

Ope  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2018 12:43:04(UTC)
Ope

Thanks Peter for your concern am open to entry leve positionl for health and safety role just to acquire the needed uk experience in health and safety and I can build my career from there. I managed a family biz which is into construction and rehanilitation of roads back in my home country thanks