Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SimonW40  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2018 14:07:16(UTC)
SimonW40

Having now established my CDP and set my first activity, I am now awaiting my category status. I am now actively seeking a full time job in health and safety. I currently work in the motor industry and have roughly 50 certificates of general awareness in all areas of a Motor Vehicle repair workshop, (i.e. COSHH, Bench Grinders, Engine Cranes, MIG Welders, Tyre and Wheel Removal / Fitting are to name only a handful. I also have a Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.

I am currently working for Kastner Volvo in Exeter as a Service Advisor. However due to my qualifications and knowledge in Health and Safety I am also the sites Health and Safety Co-Ordinator. This role requires me to maintain all site health and safety files and records. I am also responsible for all the Waste Disposal, Health and Safety Training, organising site maintenance and workshop machinery and general repair. I also organise PPE and regularly advise management and all members of staff on all matters of health, safety and well being.  I am sure there are other relevant tasks I perform but as you will appreciate any health and safety co-ordinator literally deals with all site health and safety issues.

As this role is unpaid I am now actively looking to further my career in Health and Safety by applying for vacant jobs in the Devon area. I am keen to do this in the next 3 - 6 months and am finding that majority of employers look for at least Tech IOSH status. I am very hopeful that this investment in my career like this will greatly enhance my aspirations to really make a difference using my health and safety knowledge and experience to find a more rewarding health and safety based job. 

I am particularly keen to enhance my knowledge in the Mental Health Awareness area due to my own experiences with stress in the workplace. I have a wealth of knowledge in this area and have represented countless members of staff and undertaken Stress Risk Assessments and put in place reasonable adjustments to help people stay in work and manage their stress levels.

Any help or advice on my job search or any available opportunites would be most welcomed.

Kind rgeards in advance

Simon Williamson

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2018 10:36:37(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Simon

Is your Diploma accredited for IOSH Graduate status?

Have you spoken to people in your local IOSH branch?

Have you considered what sectors you would wish to work in and/or expanding your geographical search?

Good luck, Peter

tomforties  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2018 08:43:37(UTC)
tomforties

Hi Simon,

I found LinkedIn was one of the best job search platforms. Just set up your job alert parameters on the board and follow HSE recruiting companies for jobs in the Devon area. You should be awarded Grad status having a diploma, be it NEBOSH,NCRQ or NVQ L5/6.

Good luck in your search.

All the best,

Tom